new small room, big change

I recently moved and had to go from a relatively large 15 x 14 room with 9' ceiling to a 8 x 16 room with a 7 foot ceiling. To compound issues more the room has a tile floor (at some point the room was converted from a porch into an extension of the main house) and the walls are wood.

In any event, having had Spendor S8e speakers for 3 years now....I thought I knew them! It became quite clear that they will not work in such a small space. Fortunately I have the smaller S3e speakers on hand and I put these little bookshelf speakers in place. What a huge difference! Now I am seeing how bookshelf speakers have a true place in life for all types of music...it's the room that dictates speaker size and not the music.

Therefore I am arriving at my question: What bookshelf speakers are one tier up with a woofer no greater than 6"? I am looking to spend no more than $5k on the used market and would be greatly interested to hear what is out their at this price point. Some thoughts are Verity, Ecalante (Pinion) and ???

Let me hear from you small room bound goners...

Thanks
chadlesko
If you decide that you do want a speaker smaller then the Spendors then look at B&W 805s. I have the original ones which are very good, The newer ones are exceptional and look great.
Definitely try a pair of Harbeth SHL5s. There's a pair for sale in the $3K range that you could easily turn around and re-sell quickly for about the same price (they don't last long on the used market). I own a pair.
Agreed that woofer size is irrelevant. I have a pair of Totem Arros... their footprint is 5 inches wide and 7 inches deep (!) with a 4.5" mid/woofer and they produce bass notes like nobody's business. It's all in the engineering. :-)
Hello Everyone...thanks for the great response. I wanted to post this question here on the forums because I am new to such a small listening space and it certainly has changed my perspective.

So many have responded that I am going to make a few general responses:

1. I like the Spendor sound and know it well. I am hoping to get a little more resolution...basically looking for a little change.

2. Speaker size was listed out of a simple belief that larger woofers (ala my S8e's that didn't work in the room) are too much because they produce too large of a wave for my smallish room. The S3e's that are working well have a 5.5" woofer and that seems to be max! Now I am not a speaker designer and I may be way off base, but I felt giving a 6" or smaller parameter allows suggestions of either a small bookshelf speaker or a small floor stander. Perhaps it has mor to do with cone material, cabinet design and magnet size...I just wanted to give a small parameter.

3. While I like Totem, I am looking for a little more resolution gain...I am very familiar with the Forest and Hawk models and I chose my S8e's over them. Good speaker, just not my cup of tea. Harbeth is a very good speaker but again not really my thing...darker sounding than I like. Dynaudio is a good call...I am concerned about their SPL being too high for my room...some above suggest this to also be the case. Otherwise I would love to try them out...I may anyways! Other suggestions are interesting as well.

Thanks Guys for your thoughts...Again I want to encourage any thoughts...especially from those of you with similar room experience...I also thought to go towards the high efficiency crowd ala Coincident...just a thought.

Chad
Chadlesko,

Even the small Dynaudios Contour 1.3's do need a good clean 60w/ch or better, be located at the correct height and need to be several feet away from walls and have room to breathe to sound best. If you can meet these requirements, they might be worth a try. They deliver a big clean sound from a tiny box.

I get best soundstage and imaging results about 3-4 feet in from side and rear walls in my two 12X12 rooms.