New Green Mountain Audio Website

For all those GMA fans out there, Roy has updated the GMA website.

Also, one of our own (UncleAudio) has posted a nice review of the Eos HD speaker in the Audiogon Reviews section.

Good stuff!!!
128x128nrenter
I am likewise a true fan of Roy Johnson's work and genius in loudspeaker design. I've owned the C-2s, the Europas, the C-1.5s, the Callistos and the HD Calypsos. I just received an upgraded (with the new HD internal wire) pair of C-3s. Yes, I move around the GMA speaker line, but I always stick with GMA. The only speaker listening experience I've heard that matches or exceeds the C-3HD experience is a set of the top of the line Acapellas demoed for me by the distributor with a set up costing well north of $100K.
Wow, would you actually buy a speaker that looks like that? Looks like something you find on Star Wars. Differentiation is almost required nowadays but I think these miss the mark aesthetically, IMO. Can't imagine them meeting anyone's WAF.
Not only would I; I did. Don't be too quick to jump to conclusions. The Green Mountain Audio speakers are not designed primarily to make a stylistic impression. Roy Johnson is a brilliant designer, whose physics background factors heavily into the form of his speakers. Sound quality is definitely the foremost priority. Having said that, I think the EOS HDs are actually quite attractive, especially on the Skylan stands that are custom designed for them.

I'm still getting to know these speakers, but I will say that they do some things astonishingly well. I've owned some very transparent and cohesive speakers in the past, including custom designed single drivers, and Living Voice OBX-R2s, among many others. At this point, I feel comfortable saying that none have matched the palpable vocal presence that the EOS HDs present. Crystal clear, without a trace of grain, and very little sibilance. In my lengthy discussions with Roy over the past few weeks, I've come to understand that the latter is a function of the ability to align the tweeter and woofer, relative to your seating position, so that the entire frequency range reaches the listener's ears simultaneously.

These are also, I would say, the most intimate sounding and emotionally involving speakers I have owned. Lively and detailed, without being harsh or fatiguing. Great pace. They completely disappear. Really quite a feat.

Honestly, it would be easy to dismiss GMA's speakers based on their unique appearance, but do a bit of reading, and you'll understand why they look the way they do. Not to get up on a soapbox here, but after spending a month or so with these speakers, I'm beginning to think the real question is "why don't more speakers look like the EOS HDs?," not vice-versa.
I also believe GMA speakers look far better in person than in photographs. Although I think those Calypsos look pretty damn sexy in every shot I've seen. It's all a matter taste. But perhaps I'm forgiving because I know how they sound.