How would you run an audio salon?

Just wondering, as an audiophile how would you set up an audiophile shop?
I have got some ideas but will post them later except to say I would limit the number of brands and try my best to get it to sound its very best.
pedrillo
The in home idea is a good one. Back in the late 70's we had a guy here in Las Vegas that set up a system in his home and sold by word of mouth. I can't remember all the components but the Sequarra Pyramid speaker system still stands out in my mind.
The model has already changed in the UK, High street stores have disappeared with a few exceptions. People work from home or small lock ups, consultations by appointment. It may be because the market is shrinking, but do you really need to cater for a passing trade? Do people walk pass and say "darn it, I knew there was something I needed, a $200,000 HiFi system". No obviously they do'nt. If you have appointments only, it can be a one man and his wife band. Many work from home only, with very long suffering wives. You save on staff and High street fixed costs, rent and taxes
You can provide a personal service which can include:
Dems set up for the customers particular needs
Home dems and home problem solving with accessories/room treatment
Loaners
Taking in part exchanges, a good selection often attracts me to a dealer
Skilled services, particularly turntable set up and a good engineer who can repair onsite.

It is not news that the High End is contracting round the world, but that brings opportunities too. Small scale, skilled retailers and cottage industry manufacturers. Look at the range of excellent new small scale producers, particularly in the US, K&K audio, Daedalus, Ridge Street, Tyler and many more. They can undercut the biggies by direct selling, no advertising, marketing budgets, but selling by word of mouth, as it should be.
a more conventional approach...

Getting, and keeping inventory on site is a pricey enough option, though for a brick and mortar joint, it is part and parcel a must. Consequently, selling what is being demonstrated is usually a ‘given’

Definite considerations towards the product lines being brought in or desired would take some thought. Production, availability, timelyness, shipping considerations, floor planning, or FOB BUYS, WILL DETERMINE MANY OF THE ON SITE PIECES YOU’LL CARRY, IF NOT ALL OF THEM. Then too, are the manufacturers requirements… the whole kit and kabuddle? Or as you wish it assortments, the stability of the producer is also important..

However, if we’ve aligned all the fresh new goodies we want to sell already, and if start up funding was unlimited I’d go with the initial posters suggestions.. mostly. However, a draw is needed. I’d sell CD’s, albums, and DVD’s. New and preowned. Accessory sales also constitutes a substantial piece of the pie. Cables, cords, tweaks, conditioners, and room acoustics would be offered and available.

I’d also keep that facet segregated from the upper end items, but all with the same ground level or accessible entrance, so customers can be apprised more than software is available.

Going with several demo rooms, One would be a static display of sources, conditioners, preamps, etc… all the more mobile and non currently integrated & energized components available. Some under glass, some tangibly exposed, and have that room itself exposed by way of a full length plexiglass wall and or sliding tempered glass doors..

I’d have an entry level audiophile 2 ch, and HT systems, set into the adjacent room just off or past the partitioned office area and static displays. This would be all SS & 2ch tube gear as well, representing our more conveniently acquired values in high end audio and video performing equipment.

The next audition venue would be allocated for mid fi Audiophile & up, tastes and include both tube and SS 2 ch arrangements. Monitor and floor standing speakers, naturally, would be set up, yet be interchangeable. for the qualified buyer considerations and differing mixes would then be easily accomplished.

The high end, and final room would be comprised of “sky’s the limit” products, inclusive of hidden HT PJ & Screen. Top flight amps, preamps, (BOTH 2Ch & Multi) and sources. Both tube and solid state systems could be well represented there. Here would be where the top level of the carried lines would perform and be displayed.

Each room would represent a logical step up in performance, and price, yet still continue to show the varying tiers of the electronics being carried by the store

If at all possible, nothing will be demonstrated that isn’t run in or set up properly.

The atmosphere in all audition rooms will be as close to an ‘in home’ experience as is possible. Plants, pictures, or tapestries, and a nice sweet spot chair.

Once qualified, an appointment can be set up to better accommodate a buyers particular needs at the show room. If a sale can not be otherwise closed on site, or the customer requests it, and is completely qualified by then, a limited in home trial can then be offered on the piece (s) in question once a security or deposit has been presented.

Naturally the piece (s) will be delivered and set up by the dealerships staff, and picked up as well. A service fee will also be acquired up front that will be subtracted from the sale if one is consummated following the trial period.

After a time, I’d likely institute an upgrade facility, providing for up to 100% of the purchased value towards the desired likewise upgrade if conditions & criteria are well met and those lines of gear still are being sold by the store. Albeit, appearance, condition, time frame, etc. I’d also like to offer outside financing resources to further accommodate the shopper. In lieu of extended financing arrangements, I’d also offer very short terms upon a substantial deposit, subsequent delivery and setup, such as 60 to 90 days on in house sales, though perhaps not on special orders.

The business ‘aire’ would be one of devotion to the consumer’s desires, within reason. I wouldn’t tolerate erudite or condescending attitudes, or sales tactics. There would be no intimidation of the customer what so ever. Accompanied by a sales person, consumers could browse all of the in house gear… unless an appointed audition was in progress, and then all other areas save the currently in use, previewing room.

At the onset, I would need at least one other knowledgeable sales person with experience in audio video and a proven positive sales history. Past that I would hire only trustworthy people. It would be a requirement that all sales people learn both their own product lines, and those which are in direct competition with them. I’d require they shop their competitors regularly.

An extensive history of audio & video gear would be nice, yet not a prerequisite for an initial hireing, though necessary for an ongoing position.

Personality and professionalism would generate more interest towards them being placed in my employ. Affable, polite, and outgoing sorts who possess integrity would be the ones I would seek out. Dress would be business casual. A knowledge base of how to qualify and close a customer would indeed be a prerequisite to remain on board.

The gender of the sales staff wouldn’t matter to me so long as all were polite, courteous, and attentive to a shoppers presence, and immediate requirements.

The ongoing esthetic would be appropriate to the previewed equipment. Allowing for more upscale accommodations as the price of the equipment grew. However I’d likely not have a Venus de Milo, or sport Picasso’s or Monet’s on the walls in any case…. Unless they were great acoustic treatments.

Professional in home set up would be inclusive on many purchased items, depending upon their nature. First level support would of course be available for all products.

Along with periodic promotions, an annual private sale would commence by invitation to previous buyers, either in May, or October.

I’d also create an online presence and outlet for those who know what they want, or for inquiries on carried product lines and upgrades.

Competition breeds excellence. I’d remain competitive with those other sellers who offer the same items as I did… as long as appels are being compared to apples of course.

Location…
I’d prefer to build in or next to a police station… or in a well traveled area… but likely not in a business or in town district.

With limited funds, or none… I’d provide an online shopping site, and offer ‘inn house’ demos upon prearranged appointments and qualifying. This no frills venue, would be more than competitive, yet remain in the guidelines of the prospective makers requirements, drop shipments, personal setups, price protections, area restrictions etc., if preexisting. All major components, peripherals, and as well, accessories sales, would be supported always.

Every item sold would be inspected and tested (preferably in the presence of the buyer) prior to installation or sale.

One notion on company policy might be “In God we trust, all others pay cash.”… barring that one, perhaps some note of devotion to the audio & video enthusiast, audiophiles, and those people who simply enjoy music and movies, should persist, with an imbedded aspiration to sales and service, before, during and after the sale.
I would start with $15 million, so after I lose my ass and slam the doors I might still have something left for retirement.
Narrod.... I just moved from NJ to Scottsdale, Arizona. I bought my 5A's with me, but they have to be tuned to the new room with the use of a special tone generating CD disc specially for this process, and a sound pressure meter. There are corresponding controls on the 5A's and if all goes as it is supposed to, the speakers are dialed into the room.