ProAcs or B&W--Not hifi experienced, but luv music

I have a 5K budget for a compact system. I have looked at three systems. The 4K setup is a Linn Classik w ProAc Tablette Signatures. The 6K one is Rotel receiver w/ B&W 805s w/a Mac Book as the CD player and a Benchmark digital to analog converter. The store is giving me a discount on demo stuff. I would be willing to spend the extra $$$ as that includes a notebook, on-line radio, etc. I like both of these. The third option is B&O at 5K. This is pretty but the the sound doesn't justify the $$$. I enjoy listening to international, classical, putamayo, jazz, latin. Which do you think is the better system?
j4tonks
What happened when you listened. Those are totally different speakers (forget about the rest of the setup for a while and focus on the speakers). What did you like and dislike about each? This should be driving your choice, not what we think.

Either speaker is a good choice, but very different. Oh, about the B&O, that choice will really limit you in the future. It's fine for background music and for making a style statement, but not really good for serious music.

Why get a MacBook when an iPod Classic (80 or 160GB) will do everything you need for playback (use LossLess if you care at all about sound). You only need the computer if you don't have one and you don't need to go Mac merely to load an iPod. It's a poor choice for playing CDs as many good players are available for way less. In fact, I'd suggest a universal player, like the Pioneer DV 58AV or Oppo, so you have the option of higher resolution and multiple formats, beyond what the Mac or a CDP could do.

Keep in mind, you don't have to buy everything in one place. If you want the Linn and the B&Ws you can buy each separately.

Dave
Follow Dave’s advice!

Look at something like a Decware Select Zen Taboo model SE84TS (Tube Integrated) @ $1K, Decware HDT (High Definition Tower) Single Driver Speakers @ $1.7K w/Macintosh: MacBook @ 1.3K & buy good ICs & Speaker Cables. All told, about $4K. Not everyones cup of tea but I doubt you’d find something more musical near the price.
Dave, I think you are mistaken about using an Ipod as a source. Unless you are talking about buying the new Wadia Ipod digital music extractor and routing that to a good DAC, the output on an ipod is limited to analog using the Ipod's internal DAC. That will pale in contrast to getting digital out of a computer (e.g. thru USB) and converting it with a good d/a converter like the Benchmark. I agree with your comment about tuning in to the speakers though.

J4Tonks - I don't know the retail value of these items. If you are only going to listen to digital, I would can the Rotel receiver and see if he can hook you up with a good amplifier that can work well with the volume control on the Benchmark. Benchmark now offers a preamp version of their DAC - I think that meants that it has analog input, and you could use that for your preamp. Do focus on the speakers, the Proacs and the B&W's are very different.
I'm listening as this is all new to me. I have learned to focus on the speakers. I like the B&W as the ProAcs seem to be a little light in bass. However the B&W 805s that I listened to didn't work together at first. I'm going back to listen again. This is very confusing, but I think I will piece all this together, if you can help. Thanks. Jane