Stereophile Class A and Frequency Response

According to the Recommended Components Loudspeaker section in Stereophile, "to be eligible for inclusion in Class A, the system must be full range- ie feature bass extension to 20Hz."

I then noticed that the B&W 802D which is in Class A has a frequency response of 34Hz–28kHz (as mentioned in Stereophile's report on the speaker), which is nowhere near 20Hz.

Why is this speaker included in Class A?
smeyers
Yes they still have 'Full Range' and 'Restricted Extreme LF', the B&W 802D's are listed under 'Full Range' which does have the 20 Hz stipulation. Yes the B&W 802D specs are 34Hz-28Khz +/- 3 db.

My guess, as with all things Stereophile, would be that advertising dollars speak louder than guidelines.

Cheers,
John
The frequency response graph in the Stereophile review suggests a -3 db point a little lower than 34Hz, but clearly nowhere near 20Hz. I find this disturbing that Stereophile would put the speaker in this category.
The definition of "bass extension" is a bit subjective, and said to be responsive to advertising revenue.
B&W has always been a favorite of Stereophile and they do make great speakers. However, to include a speaker with limited bass in that category is misleading, at best. By their own measurements, the 802D is -10 dB at 20 Hz!

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1205bw/index4.html

Soundstage/Ultra Audio measured 0 dB at 20 Hz.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/equipment/bw_802d.htm

Who to believe? Also, there is a hump at 60-70 Hz which gives the feeling of fullness in the bass and may compensate for the roll-off above Stereophile's measurements. I would argue that -10 dB is significant at any frequency. Companies should tell the customer whether the measurements are anechoic or in room, +/- 1 dB and +/- 3 dB, and if that is flat across all frequencies. It doesn't tell you if the speakers sound good, but is a basis of comparison between speakers. Personally I find deep bass indispensable to all music I listen to and for my money, if a speaker is down 10 dB at 20 Hz, it needs a subwoofer. Just my opinion. (Lets the flames begin!)