Stereophile Class A and Frequency Response

According to the Recommended Components Loudspeaker section in Stereophile, "to be eligible for inclusion in Class A, the system must be full range- ie feature bass extension to 20Hz."

I then noticed that the B&W 802D which is in Class A has a frequency response of 34Hz–28kHz (as mentioned in Stereophile's report on the speaker), which is nowhere near 20Hz.

Why is this speaker included in Class A?
smeyers
Don't they have Class A fullrange, and Class A non-fullrange?...they used to?

I have not bought Stereophile in a few years.

Dave
Yes they still have 'Full Range' and 'Restricted Extreme LF', the B&W 802D's are listed under 'Full Range' which does have the 20 Hz stipulation. Yes the B&W 802D specs are 34Hz-28Khz +/- 3 db.

My guess, as with all things Stereophile, would be that advertising dollars speak louder than guidelines.

Cheers,
John
The frequency response graph in the Stereophile review suggests a -3 db point a little lower than 34Hz, but clearly nowhere near 20Hz. I find this disturbing that Stereophile would put the speaker in this category.
The definition of "bass extension" is a bit subjective, and said to be responsive to advertising revenue.
B&W has always been a favorite of Stereophile and they do make great speakers. However, to include a speaker with limited bass in that category is misleading, at best. By their own measurements, the 802D is -10 dB at 20 Hz!

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1205bw/index4.html

Soundstage/Ultra Audio measured 0 dB at 20 Hz.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/equipment/bw_802d.htm

Who to believe? Also, there is a hump at 60-70 Hz which gives the feeling of fullness in the bass and may compensate for the roll-off above Stereophile's measurements. I would argue that -10 dB is significant at any frequency. Companies should tell the customer whether the measurements are anechoic or in room, +/- 1 dB and +/- 3 dB, and if that is flat across all frequencies. It doesn't tell you if the speakers sound good, but is a basis of comparison between speakers. Personally I find deep bass indispensable to all music I listen to and for my money, if a speaker is down 10 dB at 20 Hz, it needs a subwoofer. Just my opinion. (Lets the flames begin!)