3 way vs. 2 way

I currently have Mirage M5si bi polar speakers, I believe these have two tweeters and two 6inch drivers. For my room size I want to go to a conventional speaker. I would also like to give a high end store in my area the business as the owner is a friend. He carries Totem and B&W. I notice may of the Totems have only a tweeter and a driver. Can I get as good sound out of smoething like that as compared to a speaker with 3 or 4 in the cabinet?
zar
I have a pair of vintage AR91s, two way speakers, that would huff, puff, and blow down your house, Goatwuss.
Please note that the poster's room is only 9' wide, and assuming the speakers are about 2' from side walls the distance between speakers that's left is only 5', or less. Any moderate sized speakers wouldn't sound too good in that kind of space, and larger speakers would be disastrous.

Unless you can place the speakers along the long wall, a small 2-way or a pair of floorstanders with a small footprint would be a wise choice.
Ryder gets the point exactly, this is not a theoretical debate (althought that is interesting in its own right) but a specific application in a given room. As a practical solution, I think that 2-ways are the best way to go IMHO.
Ryder and Pubul57,

We are in total agreement.

[Shadorne ] I just saw your second post on the this thread. Given your room a good two way is your best option, IMHO.
Utter nonsense a two way or a three way will vary in quality and quantity. The fact is I played them both in a closet of a bedroom as a teenager 30 years ago, it was fine. I had the JBL Signature C36s a two way vintage 1959 a compression driven bullet horn AKA the 075 and the long lived extended range 15" woofer mid the d-130 which were used by the dead as their wall of sound and then by the Dave Mathews band. They are exquisitely sensitive despite the rated values of 101db /M/W. What are you nuts Mechans that is extremely sensitive. Yes that is true but I swear they are louder given the same juice than my La Scalas which are rated at 104 db. The other speakers were Klipsch Heresy a 3 way horn 12" woofer. I can't tell you how they compared since I had 2 speaker taps on my Kenwood KA-7100. Using the more is better mentality. The room was so small that I actually had them up on a big shelf near the ceiling. So the answer is... place your speakers such that they are no more the 1' from the cieling. Using this placement will eliminate the "correct" # of drivers. By the way the dumb old idiots found that bass required so much energy that you will not hear it at low volumes so they invented the loudness switch. Heresy I should be banned from audiophooldum.