3 way vs. 2 way

I currently have Mirage M5si bi polar speakers, I believe these have two tweeters and two 6inch drivers. For my room size I want to go to a conventional speaker. I would also like to give a high end store in my area the business as the owner is a friend. He carries Totem and B&W. I notice may of the Totems have only a tweeter and a driver. Can I get as good sound out of smoething like that as compared to a speaker with 3 or 4 in the cabinet?
zar
"When the dealer became the dealer, the sky didn't open and the angels didn't come down with a set of Golden Ears."

Egads man, you've totally exposed me and my fellow bottom-feeders!

Seriously, Mcpody, you are absolutely correct - "dealer" doesn't mean anything beyond the fact that I stood in line and got a business license, and "manufacturer" doesn't necessarily mean much more (do I even design or actually build my own products? Who knows?). My ears are probably average at best, and I hope I haven't implied otherwise. If anyone finds merit in something I say, hopefully that's based on the content rather than the hat I wear.

Incidentally, I have somewhat mixed feelings about proclaiming my industry affiliation on a regular basis. It's a judgment call as to whether that constitutes "advertising" on the one hand, and whether non-disclosure constitutes "shilling" on the other. In a recent thread on the subject of industry members disclosing their affiliation, one person commented that he'd like to know when he's reading the words of someone who may have a vested interest, and that sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks for the thumbs-up, Jndean and Shadorne.

Duke
In a small room, big speakers will overload the room, have boomy bass, and sound bad.

But assuming you have the space, and assuming you like DYNAMICS, unfortunately there is no 2 way in existence that can sound like a large speaker.

Something like a Verity Parsifal monitor will have a great midrange, spot on image, and other great qualities - but unfortunately even a SOTA 2-way like this will never sound like a Wilson X2, Pipedream line arrays, Avantgarde Trios, or Dynaudio temptations. The sheer scale of sound presentation of one of these large and well-built speakers is unfortunately unmatchable in a 2-way monitor. The physics simply don't allow it.

2 Way monitors by all means have their time and their place - but if you are serious, and you are looking for BIG orchestral dynamic swings and rock-arena scale, you need a BIG speaker.
Goatwuss,

Well put. I tend to agree. Although some exceptional two ways are pretty impressive (Meyer X 10 for example) but as a generalization, "rule of thumb", I am in total agreement.
I have a pair of vintage AR91s, two way speakers, that would huff, puff, and blow down your house, Goatwuss.
Please note that the poster's room is only 9' wide, and assuming the speakers are about 2' from side walls the distance between speakers that's left is only 5', or less. Any moderate sized speakers wouldn't sound too good in that kind of space, and larger speakers would be disastrous.

Unless you can place the speakers along the long wall, a small 2-way or a pair of floorstanders with a small footprint would be a wise choice.