Why are we so passive?

In high-end audio the passive speaker is the norm. Active speakers may not be rare, but are definitely uncommon. What's the buzz on active?

Is active just another marketing scheme?
Is there really any difference between active and passive?
Why don't more audiophiles go active?
Why don't more manufacturers produce active speakers?
At what price point, if any, would you consider going active?
ojgalli
i agree with you kr4. audiophiles sometimes get bored with the sound of their stereo systems. replacing the amp and/or the speaker cable is an obvious way to change the sound.

further, active speakers are generally limited to "box" designs. i have never seen an active panel speaker.
active is always better (foolproof), but since the object is to buy and fondle and resell, active speakers are not popular. in professional circles, it rules.
Mrtennis: There have been active panel (ELS) speakers in the past and there's no reason why there should not be.

Tarsando: They may not be the best amplifier makers but they can be and they can certainly collaborate or OEM the amps from others.

Jaybo: Agreed.
Using a monoblock close to the speaker gives you the choice of amps and speakers. Much the same advantage. I always wondered about having an amplifier exposed to such high energy vibrations in the cabinet, but then I worry and think too much about audio anyway! I like the flexibility and have the room to have both.