Do you ...Center Channel?

Hello,

To me it is difficult to set a center speaker in the living room. Underneath the TV would be too low. On top of the TV (LCD) would be unpractical because in may case the center channel would be fairly big and heavy.

I imagine that most of you, living in homes with a dedicated room, you have no issue. How about all the others like me, with limited space, would you have the center channel at all and go with a four speakers setup and set the preamp to 'No Center'? Or would you compromise in some other ways?
Thanks.

Regards,
baam23f
in my family room system I have no center speaker - just run in "phantom" mode. In my dedicated home theater, I use a center speaker, but there are times (ie on some material) I wish I was running in phantom mode.
I use one, I could live without it though (depending on where I'm sitting).

Dave
I could live without it for TV/HT but find it essential for MCH music.

Kal
I always use one for HT, but not for music unless listening for 5.1 SACD, which I normally listen to in two channel as well.

I have an entertainment center which surrounds my TV. Equipment in the side tiers and center channel above. There is a gap between the top of my TV and the center speaker of ~ 4". I angle the speaker to face my listening position.
if you go phantom mode, make sure your left and right speakers are full range... and most center channels suck....unless you spend big money

+1 for what everyone says about using phantom unless you have people off center. even then my system is so much better than their home systems they don't know what they are missing..