B&W Nautilus 802D, Wilson Sophia 2, or others?

I'm getting the upgrade itch again. My current speakers are Nautilus 802's and I am using a VAC PHI 110 setup with 8db negative feedback. The speaker impedance curve won't let me use the zero feedback setting. Overall the system sounds very good. Areas, I would like to improve would be bass impact or punch, a bit more clarity in the midrange. The room is approximately 15 by 14 with a vaulted ceiling going from 8 to 11ft. It is also open at the very top to a kitchen/dining room area so it acts like a bigger room. It does have a room peak in the 30-40hz range with a null around the 60hz range that I believe robs some impact. I love the looks of the Nautilus speaker and what I have does sound very good. From the reviews I have read the Diamond version improves in the areas I feel need improvement but still presents a difficult load requiring the amp to use negative feedback. The Wilson Sophia might present an easier load allowing Zero feedback with some sonic gain just from that change alone. I am a bit concerned that the Wilsons are ported to the rear since the front wall behind the speakers has seven foot wide french doors in the middle which might present a reflection problem. I have not listened to either speaker but metro Phx has dealers for both. Would somebody that is basically happy with the B&W speakers like the Wilson Sophias or should I just stick with the 802D's? Any other speaker recommendations that are compatible with the VAC amp? I don't like the looks of any speaker that looks like the basic box with drivers in it. Listening preferences are primarily jazz and vocals. I usually listen to music with peaks less than 90db but sometimes crank to peaks around 100db. I don't want it to crap out if I want to crank it. If anyone has upgraded from 802's to Diamond version, I would also appreciate your comments. Thanks
rhljazz
I'm switching from the 802Ds to W/P8s. I liked the 802Ds, but they really didn't localize the stereo image as precisely as I wanted, even after serious room modifications that balanced out the lower end quite a bit. Their low frequency boom definitely tends to overpower male vocals in rock and roll music even in my big room, but for a lot of other more mellow music they were phenomenal, including female vocals, instrumentals, classical, etc. Ultimately, the lack of point-on localization of insturments and voices, the lack of air between instruments, the far back receding mid-range sound field (may friend called this the laid back british sound... They did sound very dimensional because of this though), and the kevlar and rohacel sound wore away at me.

The best thing to do is go listen to them yourself and make your decision after careful scrutiny. Don't buy too quickly, as you might find one works better with a larger variety of music you enjoy after long term demoing, or that one slowly erodes at you. Don't get me wrong though. I do like the 802Ds, especially for the price. I've never listened to the Sophia 2s, so I can't give a decent comparison to you on my perceptions concerning how they contrast. I've only listened to the W/P7s and W/P8s.

Hopefully, my experience with them will give you some hallmarks to listen for when you compare the both of them.

Good Luck!

- Jeff
I noticed in Stereophile that a local dealer is having a Vandersteen presentation on June 2 which sounds like an interesting event to attend. Two different comments about boomy bass on the 802D make me wonder if the Rohacell drivers are at fault. I don't have boomy bass with the 802's. On another note, seeing the room response measurements for the W/P8's in Wes Philips room in the current Stereophile makes the measurements I have made for my own room look great when I considered them to be a bit lumpy. Perhaps Jaybo is right, and I should just be happy.
Perhaps Jaybo is right, and I should just be happy.
Nothing wrong with that, it will save you a lot of money! That said, in my situation, the W/P 7's are so far superior to what I had with the 802D's it is hard, for me, to put to words.

FWIW, I have also owned the N803's and the Signature 805's.

Brian
Post removed 
I have owned both the 802's and the 803's. I really loved the look of the 802's and was considering buying the 802 d series untill I heard them side by side with the wilsons. In my humble opinion the Sophias and the Watt puppies are a much better sonding speaker. If I wanted to spend $13 to $15,000 I would buy used Watt Puppy 7's over new Sophias