B&W Nautilus 802D, Wilson Sophia 2, or others?

I'm getting the upgrade itch again. My current speakers are Nautilus 802's and I am using a VAC PHI 110 setup with 8db negative feedback. The speaker impedance curve won't let me use the zero feedback setting. Overall the system sounds very good. Areas, I would like to improve would be bass impact or punch, a bit more clarity in the midrange. The room is approximately 15 by 14 with a vaulted ceiling going from 8 to 11ft. It is also open at the very top to a kitchen/dining room area so it acts like a bigger room. It does have a room peak in the 30-40hz range with a null around the 60hz range that I believe robs some impact. I love the looks of the Nautilus speaker and what I have does sound very good. From the reviews I have read the Diamond version improves in the areas I feel need improvement but still presents a difficult load requiring the amp to use negative feedback. The Wilson Sophia might present an easier load allowing Zero feedback with some sonic gain just from that change alone. I am a bit concerned that the Wilsons are ported to the rear since the front wall behind the speakers has seven foot wide french doors in the middle which might present a reflection problem. I have not listened to either speaker but metro Phx has dealers for both. Would somebody that is basically happy with the B&W speakers like the Wilson Sophias or should I just stick with the 802D's? Any other speaker recommendations that are compatible with the VAC amp? I don't like the looks of any speaker that looks like the basic box with drivers in it. Listening preferences are primarily jazz and vocals. I usually listen to music with peaks less than 90db but sometimes crank to peaks around 100db. I don't want it to crap out if I want to crank it. If anyone has upgraded from 802's to Diamond version, I would also appreciate your comments. Thanks
rhljazz

Showing 3 responses by brianmgrarcom

I have heard both speakers at the same dealer, in the same system, same day; the Sophia 2's were/are the better speakers to me, it would be an easy choice between these two for me. I have also owned the 802D's.

Brian
The amps I used with the 802D's were, Classe (Delta) CA2200, Musical Fidelity kW500 (integrated), McIntosh MA2275 (integrated) and McIntosh MC402.

The bottom end is boomy, they were not very "open" sounding and lacked the fun factor I have experienced before, and currently.

I can say a lot of this after the fact, although there were times I questioned $12k in contrast to performance. IMO, the Sophia 2 would be a speaker that you would enjoy every time you heard them. Others have posted some other speaker options and while I have no opinion about them because I have no experience with them, I doubt you will regret the purchase of the Wilson's due to performance and if you decide to sell down the road, they should have good resale interest. Someone also mentioned that you may be surprised at how much smaller the Sophia's appear than the B&W's in your room, I concur with this; also to my surprise, I much prefer the look over the 802's.

Obviously the decision has to be yours, but as I stated before, the decsion between these two is very easy for me, even with the Sophia 2's being $2k more; furthermore, even though I have not heard them, I am inclined to say I'd chose the first generation Sophia's over the 802D's also.

Brian
Perhaps Jaybo is right, and I should just be happy.
Nothing wrong with that, it will save you a lot of money! That said, in my situation, the W/P 7's are so far superior to what I had with the 802D's it is hard, for me, to put to words.

FWIW, I have also owned the N803's and the Signature 805's.

Brian