MultiChannel too complicated for most...

I've been on the gon for a little while now, posting and enjoying all the spectacular virtual systems. There is one thing I've noticed though. It's that many seem to associate the terms 2 channel and simple, especially when heading and detailing their virtual systems. I don't see it too often in threads, but every now and again it'll show up their as well.

Me being the multichannel guy I am, this small and most times overlooked detail seemed to jump out at me. Its been a passing thought for a while, but seems to be a somewhat valid question.

Now...before I go any further, this is not in insight a riot and bombard the moderators with request to have this thread pulled because it "potentially offends" 2 channel lovers. This is not that kind of posting, but just posing a question that has crossed my mind more times that one.

Do 2channel only audiophiles shun multichannel (discrete or DSP based) because they find it too complicated?

If the concept of thinking in 360 degrees (Multichannel) were simplified, for a lack of better terms, would multichannel be more accepted?
cdwallace
Do 2channel only audiophiles shun multichannel (discrete or DSP based) because they find it too complicated?

I'm with Paracrine.

Audiophiles are normal people that want something differentiated for their music system, they are not immune to the logic of purity and simplicity, which is a marketing spin that is pushed heavily by the high end manufacturers. Often this is all about how high end audio chooses to differentiate; popular manifestations are designs with LESS features than low end audio and by packaging this in an impressive, imposing product with a new model number each year or two, and few, if any, LED lights/displays (synonymous with low end). These clearly visible external features and new model number are intended to be correlated by the buyer to the hidden significantly differentiated sound of the box/component. This all combines to propagate the widely held view that a DSP can't possibly play two channel as well as a dedicated two channel amp.
If I had the money to have both 2 channel and multi channel systems at the level I want my 2 channel.
I would own both.
Unfortunatly there is no way I am going to invest $$$$$$$ into MC music, when I can use that same money to make my 2 channel even better than it is now.
I listen to some MC music but it really is the material that keeps me from being more into optmized MC gear, I enjoy trying MC music and sometimes it sounds great, but 98% is 2 channel in my house. Perhaps if I had better Pro, better rear speakers, amps and set-up I would be more into the whole pursuit of MC music, but I just dont really care.
I'm 2ch and see the point of listening music from the "orchestra" seat. To my understanding music won't need surrounds even for the multichannel rather than having an extra center channel. I don't think that I want to hear some instrument(s) playing behind me except cases such as Pink Floyd "The Wall" when I'd realy prefere MC listening with all those helicopter sounds and other sound effects.
I've found quite a peaceful co-existence between listening to multichannel and 2 channel thru my system. Multichannel, done right, is downright fabulous - it blows two channel clear outta the water in many ways. However, 2 channel done right can sound awfully darn good and there's enough room in my audio world for both. The key is "done right"....

I spend the majority of my time chasing down superlative source material. That, and the speaker/room interaction, makes more difference in the quality of the reproduced sound than anything else. Nothing upgrades a system better than a great source!

-RW-