What should be the first component when upgrading?

I currently have this terrible system:

-Infinity SM 62 Bookshelves (on stands)
-Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver
-Source is Apple Powerbook (iTunes) or iPod

This summer I bought Grados SR80 headphones and they simply BLEW my mind. I heard things in my music which I've NEVER heard before (and this is with MP3's!). I listened to practically every song over again because of this increased resolution.

So naturally I wish to upgrade my above system. I've been researching the last few months and have come up with a couple of options:

-Epos ELS-3/Wharfedale Diamond 9.1/PSB Image B25 speakers
-Cambridge Audio 540a v2.0/NAD C320BEE/used Marantz/etc. integrated
-Hsu research VTF-2/STF-1/STF-2
-Standalone CD player (cambridge audio 540c?)/NAD ...

I just found a VTF-2 on here for 275 which seems like an awesome deal. Just wondering which component you guys would replace and in what order?

I was thinking of getting the sub first because I could use it with my existing system and then upgrade the other components in this order (integrated amp, speakers, cd player) ....

But after reading some more on the forums, maybe I should keep my existing system and upgrade the cd player first (garbage in= garbage out) ...

Or maybe I should get the integrated amp first?

Seriously seeking guidance in building this budget system as this will be my fisrt foray into budget hi-fi .... what would you guys do??
bobcuzi
The chicken or the egg controversy is well documented. I stand by source>amplification>speakers based on this theory: A great front-end will bring out the best in average speakers, whereas an average front-end will do nothing to bring out the best in great speakers. In an ideal world, speakers are designed to reproduce the signal they are fed. If the signal is crappy, speakers can't fix it. IMO, it's speakers last, just ask Ivor at Linn.
If you are going to do the front end and the speakers at the same time, I would suggest buying one of the current DVD players (Pioneer, Panasonic come to mind) considered to have decent sound for around $100-$150 and allocating the rest for speakers. I currently use a Panasonic DVD S-47 and it's a very competent player. I also have a pretty decent analog front end. In the past, I've owned a much more expensive, "audiophile approved" CD player, and in my opinion, you are giving up very little or nothing at all using a properly set up and tweaked DVD player with decent sound quality when compared to the "audiophile wannabee" players in the $300-$400 range or even well beyond that. Hell, I just put together a great system for my son using an older RCA DVD player (which I replaced with a Toshiba and then the Panasonic which is a fair bit better), a Pioneer PL 12-D turntable I bought at a garage sale for $5, an AT 120E cartridge purchased new and a Project Phono Box purchased used for $50, my retired Audiolab 8000A, and some JPW P1 speakers I purchased used. My system retails for a ton more money than this one. Is it 10X or 20X better? No way. It's a bit lacking in resolution, refinement and the extreme low end, but it's very musically satisfying and bags of fun to listen to!

You don't need to spend a lot to get great sound and most digital gear is grossly overpriced. Providing some decent access to used and reasonably cheap records, which fortunately I have, I'd rather listen to the $5 turntable with the $60 cartridge I just bought than probably any CD player up to or even slightly over $1,000. But then, that is a whole different discussion.
You are most welcome, Bob. Even though you always hear the adage "garbage in, garbage out" - and it IS true - I have found the most profound differences are between different speakers. And, the speakers are the only element in the chain that DIRECTLY interact with the room.

Also, speakers are the only unit in the chain (except for cartridges, but we're talking digital here) that convert one form of energy to another. In the case of speakers, it's electrical to mechanical.

Having said all that, I would recommend you try to figure out what speakers you find most pleasing in your price range and go with those. Buy used, nothing wrong with a used pair of speakers providing the owner exercised reasonable care and feeding [smile]. I can give some recommendations, but you need to decide for yourself. All of these speakers will *kill* your current pair:

1) Paradigm Studio 40 or Studio 60 - these offer *excellent* bang for the buck. The 40s will require stands, the 60s are floorstanders. I prefer the real-wood V2s over the V3s.

2)Epos ELS-303 - There is a pair of these on Audiogon right now for $540. Very good speaker for a good price.

3) NHT 2.5 - I have a friend who has these, they punch well above their weight. There is a pair on Audiogon for $500 - that's a smokin' deal.

-RW-
Post removed 
Bobcuzi,

I think this might be the system for you:

A set of Beringer Active Monitors,
A NAD pre-amp,
A Arcam CD-Player

If you like high-detail, high-resolution sound the Beringers would give you just that! In the first place, they use it in recording studios...

Check some of the models out.

Best regards,
Dewald Visser