What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
A friend recently got a used pair of the Audio Mirror amps, his have the 6H13C tubes, 20 watts PSET. Seems to like them a lot but I haven't heard them.

I agree that 92db seems borderline with a low power SET. I have a 2A3 SET at about 3 watts that probably would not be enough, but 300Bs would give 8 watts which might work. I used to have a Manley Stingray which I believe is the integrated version of your Mahis and I like the SET better. It all depends on what you like.
(Rebbi - I PM'd you on AA)
Sebrof summed it up well, it just depends on what you like (simple
statement but true). My speakers are 94 db/14 ohms so pretty close to your
speaker's sensitivity. I've used three amplifiers with them.
40 watt el34 push pull (PP), 100 W ultralinear (PP)/60W triode mode (PP)
and an 8 W SET 300b. The SET is unquestionably the best sounding of the
three amplifiers. Just my experience, your taste or desires could be very
different from mine and you'd choose accordingly.

Once caution about SETs, don't try to go "too cheap" seeking
value. These amplifiers need good quality output transformers and stout
power supplies to maximize their very simple but excellent sounding
circuits. Poor quality parts and transformers won't get it done and you'll
just be disappointed. If your speaker is an easy load, a well lmplemented
high quality SET can make that speaker sing.
Good luck to you.
Charles,
Rebi, I have a pair of deCapo Bes. They are sitting idle in my bedroom, along with a coincident dynamo amp and a Denis Had Inspire KT66. I also have 8 WPC Coincident Frankenstein amps. Give me a couple days and I will give you a rundown on how the 3 amps drive the deCapos.

I suspect the Frank's and dynamo will be fine, and the KT66 may be marginal.

Charles is correct with respect to transformers, but the inspire and dynamo are both decent inexpensive amps.
IMHO greatest bargain in USED SET amps was the Cary 300SEI but its popularity seems to have increased over the years. At one time these could be picked up used for $1500 to $1700 ... now you are lucky to get one for $2200

GREAT amp with the ProAc 1sc I used it with. Not a perfect match on paper but sonically excellent. The 1sc is an 87db speaker but I used them in a small 12'x10' room
Hi Brownsfan,
I was recently wondering how these DeCapo BEs compare to the Coincident Triumph Extreme II, both are highly respected stand monitors.
Israel Blume said that despite the lower cost of the Dynamo it has good output transformers. I'm interested in how it and the Dennis Had amplifiers compare in your opinion. Brownsfan, it seems like you're having a ball of fun with your system these days.
Charles,