Do you know of small speakers that sound ''BIG'' ?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of small or monitor speakers that defy perception by sounding larger or bigger than they are ? I have always owned floorstanders and do not have much experience with the smaller fry....for the sake of discussion I would like that we NOT include small floorstanders - just speakers that we would normally use a stand with. Thanks !
soniqmike
Sonus Faber Guarneri Hommage.. I just put a pair in my system and they are magic!
Little lacking on bottom end, but what you do get is accurate and defined.
By far the best speaker I have heard in my system..replaced Hales Signature 2's ( which were not slouches).
IMHO, one of the best if not the best small monitor in the world.
Ozzy62,

Sorry about your email, but it must be lost;

Roark Douglas builds the IZT4's which are outstanding for under $1000/pr.

They were designed for multichannel music applications and like a subwoofer added for best performance.

Their main purpose is to offer music lovers with multichannel systems an affordable reference level speaker that simply elevates an ordinary surround system into a superior music system, like yours.

Let me fill in some blanks.

The speakers weigh 19lbs each
They are 12x7.5x10 (HWD)with 1.5" thich front baffle and internal bracing.
They handle 80 watts continuous 175 peak, they are 6ohm +/- .8 ohms

They have an Aluminum 5" woofer
2.25" soft dome mid and 1" neo tweeter.
you will note the impulse response shows the kind of time alignment that Vandersteen and Theil call phase coherent and after 300 hz the acoustic phase is +/- 20 degrees to 16khz.

you will note the very flat frequency response (the lines demarque 3dB not 10dB variances like in the reviews) and the fast, clean and uniform spectral decay, which I know may mean little to you, but for a sub $1000 speaker what you see some may call exceptional. Distortion at 90dB 1m is >.25% 100hz to 16khz. The speaker is a sealed box which is tuned to 87 hz fb.

Would I say it plays bigger than life?, not really. not by itself. But for the money there are few speakers that offer this sound quality in the range that these speakers cover and when set up in surround with a subwoofer, the system as seen in my profile has outperformed 2 channel systems from ACI, ZU,DALI Helicon, ATC Concept 1, Sptech Ref. Proac Response and Tablette, totem Forests, Vandersteen 2's & 3 sigs. and the VSR 4jr's.

BTW the 2nd group of speaker systems listed are not in my opinion, they are in the opinion of owners and potential customers of those brands. If you doubt that its true you'll have to take it up with them.

PS: If you ask me nicely, I will gladly build a 5-7.2 system for you. Roark Douglas is a consulting firm, the IZT4's is for us too show potential clients that we are capable of complete design solutions. We offer oem amplifier solutions, system sales and design assistance to end users, technical training and marketing strategy solutions.

Building speakers is for fun.