Speaker recommendations in the $3,500-$4,000 range

I'm in the market for a good, full-range speaker for simple stereo listening. I have an Anthem TLP-1 preamp, and will probably get an anthem amp to drive the speakers as well. I'd like full-range speakers (where no sub is needed)...and my budget will be between $3,500-$4,000.

I just finished mastering a CD at MasterMix in Nashville, so I've spent 12 hours in front of the finest PMC monitor system in the US...so that is point of reference. Thanks for any input!!!
clay49
Well, if you can stretch you budget a small amount to $4500 or buy used, I would strongly recommend the PMC OB-1. It is a great speaker, and for you almost a sure winner since you already know that you like PMC. It mates well with Bryston amps, and it does require a fair amount of power behind it to really sing.
Skip the Anthem power amplifier and get the new Blue Sky Big Blue monitor, about as close to the PMC for the money your spending you could ever hope to get.

More bass, flatter frequency response and greater output capacity than any speaker posted so far and simply the best speaker system I know of in the price class right now.

I'd place it above very good value speakers like the DALI Helicon 400, ATC SCM 35, VSR 4jr or Sr.

Can get these guys at any Guitar Center.
Used, I would definitely recommend the Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System (I). The Linbrooks are conservatively strong down to 25hz, and absolutely no sub is needed.

Other suggestions I also agree with are the Spendors and Salks... Both are strong brands that should merit serious consideration as well, IMO.

---Dave
I don't think you can come close to the finest PMC studio monitors installed professionally in the US on a $4,000 budget at least not new....but I guess you know this.

I agree with the suggestions already made on this thread so I won't add any specific recommendations.

However, in general, if you are very patient and keep looking, you could do what I have done; buy some old studio gear second hand on audiogon. My plain black ugly big boxes, with a few dings, came from a professional mastering studio. These type items do not sell easily on audiogon for obvious reasons - so just be patient and don't set your heart on one particular speaker.