All Merlin family members.

Do you prefer your equipment behind(not between)or to the side of your speakers? have you had it both ways and noticed a difference
128x128tabl10s
i prefer a dead wall behind the speakers and gear on a rack to the side, not between or even behind.
bobby@merlin
I have my amp between the speakers and all the rest of the system about six or eight feet away, on the side. I like this set up A LOT!
I agree with Bobby. Ideally there would be nothing between or behind the speakers but dead space. Does it make a difference? You bet!
for what it's worth, if i could i would have nothing in between the speakers except for the amp on the floor. i would treat the front wall as necessary. in reality i have a low, wide 22" high cabinet with a plasma tv on the wall. i'm having a cover made from the same material as our curtains to put over the plasma (it's for my wife, of course, not the sound). this setup is because of the room in which the speakers are placed. it may not be *ideal* from a sound standpoint but i actually prefer it this way in some respects to even a dedicated room. i used to have a *dedicated* space in our other house but i am listening to them much more now. they are in the room where we spend most of our time. i'm able to enjoy them almost everyday along with my wife (i'm one of those crazy guys that likes spending time with his wife). so although perhaps the setup is not ideal from a sound standpoint (i don't really think I am giving up much) i am actually enjoying them much more and am finding much more value in the $$$ i've invested. just something to keep in mind as you make decisions about these things.
While I agree that its better to have nothing between or behind the speakers, I've had less negative impact in a larger room, with speakers positioned relatively further into the room. IOW, if there's still plenty of air between and behind the speakers, it isn't quite as problematic as the same setup in a smaller room.
One point worth addressing when you place gear on a side wall; don't place a turntable at the primary reflection point, or you risk creating a feedback problem. Ideally, you would want room treatments at that spot anyway. Cheers,
Spencer