Preamp with Tone Control Recommendations ....

I have a desire to get a preamp with tone controls. Can you recommend something? McIntosh C50/C2500/C2300 come to mind and the C50 is rising to the top. I think I'd like the tone controls on the preamp as opposed to adding an equalizer although I am not opposed to that option. Thanks in advance!
128x128joeinid
Your experience makes the argument that the preamp itself is a tone control of sorts. When people ask me for a romantic old fashioned warmish tuby sound pre, I point them in the CJ direction.

I agree with that statement but the current series of CJ preamps is far from the CJ of old. The ET series and GAT are ever so slightly on the warmer side of the scale and certainly more neutral.
As a CJ Gat owner and dealer, the GAT is anything but colored like the old CJ stuff of yore, the GAT has an organic quality that is truly outstanding, it is very transparent without being cold or overly romantic.
As a CJ Gat owner and dealer, the GAT is anything but colored like the old CJ stuff of yore, the GAT has an organic quality that is truly outstanding, it is very transparent without being cold or overly romantic.

Exactly! Very well said. Two years ago I sold my GAT to a friend thinking I could find something better. No way. The GAT is the most satisfying preamp that I've owned. So much so I broke down and replaced it six months ago. It's wonderful. My only reason for a tone control search is some music I listen to on certain speakers can be too much of a good thing. I am just looking for variety.
Thankyou for your response Joeinid, very interesting that you prefer the cj over the momentum.