The Audio Critic

Thoughts?
lisaandjon
Peter Aczel? he's basically a quack. I used to be a big fan of that rag, until I realized you can't listen to graphs. Graphs can't tell you how you will be moved (or not moved) by the music. He used to recommend decent stuff like Bryston, but now recommends cheap junk made in China. A lot of people have taken his mantra and ran with it. You see most of these types on you tube and other sites. But, then again, most of the big name audio journalists are quacks too.
Back in the 80's, TAC was a very highly respected magazine and Aczel's word could make or break a company. It seems to me his earlier work was very different, as he gushed over certain high-end brands like Rappaport and Cotter. (Who?) Later on, he got into this "all stuff sounds the same" mode, which no hard-core audiophiles want to hear, so he sort of faded out. Whatever anyone thinks of him, he was definitely one of the forefathers of high-end reviewing.
He's local to me in the Philadelphia area...

A friend of mine knows him well, as they live close to one another, and have had to deal with each other professionally. Ten year ago, he told me Peter's an old guy, who cannot hear you during a conversation, and constantly tries to cup his hand around his ear, and asks you to repeat everything. I don't expect the past decade has improved anything. Yep, just the guy I want to get my audio advice from.
A rarity in Audio. A man of absolute integrity. A honest researcher and truth seeker. A breath of fresh air.

When the voodoo priests and snake oil crowd took over Audio, his days were numbered.

The fact that he causes 'audiophiles' to foam at the mouth and howl at the moon is proof that he speaks the truth. Ranks right up there with Julian Hirsch and Len Feldman.

Try to find copies of his magazine and keep them as a reference to be consulted whenever you feel as if you are drowning in BS.

Cheers