Monitors for a bedroom system.......

Hi guys, I always like the great advice I get here. I am setting up a bedroom system for the 30-45 minutes it takes me to fall asleep. I tend to play ambient stuff to help me nod off. Anything with great, deep soundstage, clarity, neutrality? The speakers have to have presence at low volumes. In fact, they only need to play at low volumes. Placement restrictions will force them to sit about 6 inches from the wall. I can spend about $2000 used.
I wasnt thinking when I sold my Nautilus 805's. Any suggestions??
mythtrip
I would buy a spendor S5E with less money and no stands to have my mind on. And plays excellent.
Rich, good speakers will still sound good no matter where you are in the room. Maybe not ideal, but I'd rather listen off axis to a pair B&W 805S speakers than I would Silverlines, or Von Scheikert VR1's. As far as your statement about reading about the nautilus line....it might be beneficial to hear the B&W's to form an opinion. I have owned N805, Sig 805, and 805S, and never have I felt that they had to be played loud to sound good. For reference, I've also spent time with Silverlines, and I've owned Von Scheikert VR1's.

Here's my point.. if he's got money, and wants to spend it, who are we to stop him? Second, if you can afford it, I say it will sound better, EVEN lying down in bed. People that think listening is only available in the sweet spot aren't utilizing their systems to their fullest potential.

Third, what if the system gets moved, or the poster buys a new house and can have a master suite that would support a listener type environment? He's already a step ahead.
S7,

For the third time already, I was just making a "getting your money's worth" argument, given how the speakers will be used. It was about value received, not cash spent. If Myth chooses to spend the cash ... more power to him! The "money to spend" comments do remind me though of a co-worker who liked to watch movies in bed and spent over a grand to have speakers built into his bedroom ceiling. The architect installed four speakers (one for each channel) with two positioned over the headboard and two positioned over the center of the bed. My buddy took offense when I asked him was he considering replacing the architect, as the layout scheme and number of speakers used just made little sense to me. It wasn't about the cash, but rather the value received.

As for the Nautilus line, I haven't listened to them enough to have an informed opinion ... nor did I claim to. My experience is granted a few years old and is with the 300, 600, and CDM lines. I do remember reading in a number of magazines, including an interview with B&W, that the Nautilus needed to be played loud to get the best out of them. If that is not the real world case, so be it. I would imagine that Myth may be the best judge as to what qualifies as "low volume" as he owned the N805's previously.

Like Marco said earlier, I am offering my opinion, based on 25 years of owning bedroom systems.

Regards, Rich
Rich, point well taken. However I think you are I are arguing two different arguements. Sort of. I still feel that you would "get your money's worth" spending the 2k, as the speakers he mentions are quite good, and will sound better (even in his listening position) than a cheaper, worse sounding (in the case of the audiophile) set of speakers. I think that you and I percieve value differently. I say spend as much as you can on the speakers. Experimentation, of course, is the only thing will yeild results anyway.
I still feel that you would "get your money's worth" spending the 2k, as the speakers he mentions are quite good, and will sound better (even in his listening position) than a cheaper, worse sounding (in the case of the audiophile) set of speakers.

Oh, I get it; you want good sound. Well then, once you get the bedroom sorted out, I'd set up your bathroom next. A pair of Kharma Exquisite Reference oughta do quite nicely in there! Cause you'll be wanting nothing but the best sound in each and every room no doubt. Oh, and once you hear that bass response echoing off those tiles, you'll be saying to yourself, "...why that's the best $75 grand I ever spent!" I guarandamntee you that those premium barkers will sound better than a cheaper, worse sounding set of speakers while you're cutting a brick in there. Just wait'll you hear the garage system I've got in mind for you!!!

Marco