Pondering a pair of Klipsch La Scalas

There is a beautiful pair of "classic" La Scalas for sale in the classifieds (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1137595321). I have recently acquired a Mcintosh c28 pre-amp,2100 amp, mr77 tuner and I am looking for a good pair of speakers to match. The fact that these speakers are of the same vintage is asthetically pleasing. Does anybody have an opinion on how my system will sound thru them?
snakenuckles
Alright, I guess my final question today is: Do you think the La Scalas advertised for $1500 are worth the money?

That's really a question for you. In terms of the market for them, because of their age, it swings widely in two directions, and I'd say $1500 was on the steep side. They are typically available stock for around $900-1200 on average in good shape. I've heard stories of folks getting them at garage sales for unmentionably cheap prices. The best of those stories was actually of a pair of vintage Khorns in one-owner/mint shape. One of the subs on our renovation runs a demolition and hauling business. Upon seeing my LaScala's he asked what they were worth. I told him and asked him why. Someone had hired him to clear out the contents of a garage, which included a deceased spouses pair of Khorns (the original owner). He pointed out they might be worth something to the woman, who told him she didn't want to hassle with them, that they'd been taking up too much space and were too difficult to move, and she just wanted them taken to the dump. He did take the rest of the stuff to the dump, but kept the Khorns.

For $1500, or just a little more, you could get a pair of Khorns in good shape if you are patient.

In answer to your other question about JBL's; NO, they are two entirely different speakers with very different drivers, and will sound and respond entirely different from one and other. The suggestion someone to listen to a pair of Klipsch before buying was a good one. They have a very distinctive sound and character. You may not like it. Some folks don't. I also haven't heard them sound very good with SS gear, though again, some folks say they like'em very much that way. I look forward to hearing Howard's McIntosh combo.

Marco.
hi,

"I just sent this to snakenuckles, as he is a short drive from them. I wish I was:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/ele/116076454.html
Boa2 (System | Threads | Answers)"

Snakenuckles:

Buy them now.

Larry
Snakenuckles

in your last post you mentioned your family room having cathedral ceilings & from my experience with them in one of our last home's they will suck the bass right out of most speakers,if you plan on putting the rig in that room you should also think about running stereo sub's or getting speaker's that have a bass response down to 20hz & like to be placed close to wall's to add bass response.

your ceiling's shed a new light on the lascala picture & based on that i would reccomend that you look at other speaker's that are capable of heavy bass.

mike.
Thank you Larry... I sent an email to the listing on Craiglist. i will let you know when I hear back. My system actually does not have a home as yet. I may put it in our home that has the Cathedral living room, or maybe in the basement (15x15'x8'h) I will probably first set it up in my office with a pair of speakers in there and run a couple speakers out in the shop(nothing fancy)...