Pondering to pull the trigger on an AT VM 760SLC

Hello... I am going to take a second pass in a different forum... My last post was similar, but I have somewhat  fine tuned my note and questions here...

I am wanted to pull the trigger on an AT VM760SLC.  I think my apprehension is just and I'd like to get a bit of feedback. As I have shared...I have a Dual 1219 and a Grado Platinum 1.  I do remember back in the day about 1976 I bought an AT 14 and I was so impressed by the round tones and higher highs.  I want to hear that again...yes I want rounder, sweeter, candy-coated sound...I admit it....while my tinnitus is probably a factor. :)  All those trips to the Los Angeles Forum as a kid.

Is the AT VM760SLC  a substantial step-up from the Grado Platinum 1 in the tonal quality that I seek?  My concern is whether the Dual 1219 TT can really handle this new cartridge...allowing it to perform as it should.  I am also thinking about that all-important 92 degree set-up.  Is that a factor that can be met with the old-school Dual? Would I need shims to compensate?  Or does the 92 degree issue only apply to higher end MC cartridges?  And...lastly...does a platter mat help to calibrate that 92 degree issue and affect set-up overall?

Go ahead...I can take it...  I love my Dual... but, it is from an older age; as are my Yamaha separates - M-70, C-70.

As far as speakers... yeah...I'm the guy with the Cerwin Vega's D8's...bigger rounder tones, that I  like. And  I am thinking that the AT VM760SLC may compensate for the CV's lesser/subdued highs. 

I could do another post about how I was not impressed by the various models of Klipsch speakers heard at Best buy / Magnolia.   Another day...

Please...any input would be helpful...

Thank you.

vinylspin
vinylspin
The AT comes with advanced stylus shape, much more contact with sides of grooves (the music)

3 versions, all preferable to the Grado which is elliptical

All aluminum shaft, tips: MicroLine, Shibata, Special Microline. How are you deciding which one? 
Thank you so much for responding. The old days, one could go to a number of Los Angeles stereo chain stores...Federated, Pacific Stereo, Now Sound,  Rogers Sound Labs,  Cal Stereo...and so many others.  Now...I just want to listen to the 3 different cartridges mentioned above.  I know that each have their own advantages...one isn't better, per se, than the others...just being able to fine tune a need and preference.  I want the AT 760...the highest end of the Moving Magnet type.  I will not move into MC carts.  That is a whole other world.  though, I do like the "sweet" sound of AT.  I might just go with the Shibata and be done with it...which may require me to go with the AT 750 instead.
I am just wondering if my Dual 1219 will do this AT high-end moving magnet cartridge justice...while dealing with the 92 degree factor and the azimuth too. Like I mentioned earlier, I might need shims for the 92 degree issue...not sure....and lastly...the platter mat...I wonder if that will affect the set up. 

There I go...rambling again.

What a hobby.  We are always leaning forward, into the wind...looking for that sweet spot of sound.

Thanks for reading.

vinylspin
I have a 750 and it is probably enough for your needs and it's $200 cheaper. It is resolving enough to compensate for the speakers! You are overthinking the set up.
"The old days, one could go to a number of Los Angeles stereo chain stores...Federated, Pacific Stereo, Now Sound, Rogers Sound Labs, Cal Stereo...and so many others."
http://www.pacificstereo.net/store.jpg

Remember the great ads in the Sunday LA Times Calendar section?
You forgot University Stereo.

Since you’re willing to spend that much, consider this also
https://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/fixed-coil/otello
Very nice and you can get it rebuilt for a reasonable price.

I have one as a backup for the "serious" cartridge
tablejockey

MC is an expensive move, and OP, like me for many years is highly resistant to MC.

there is no way I would have moved into any new cartridge with elliptical stylus, certainly not MC elliptical stylus like that Soundsmith.

Like you, I might keep it, and, if not inclined for a separate mono cartridge, elliptical is better for mono lp grooves.
Won't say much about the cartridge but thanks for the trip down memory lane.  I grew up in the South bay and later lived in the Valley. I still have an AT-14Sa and really enjoy it's Shibata tip.  I also have a AT-150MLX and use it with the Microline stylus that came with it but I also use it with an ATN150Sa Shibata stylus.  It's nice having the ability to switch stylus without the doing the set up thing.
"MC is an expensive move, and OP, like me for many years is highly resistant to MC."

uh...if you take the time to read about it, it's a $400 entry level moving iron cart that is compatible in a MM phonostage.

tablejockey

sorry, I missed the fact it is MI, I saw 'coil' in my quickie look, however it is Elliptical, my main reason to rule it out.

It does illustrate what I found when researching: MI theoretically should have terrific channel separation and channel balance, but, unless you get WAY UP in price, the specs are not so good,

channel separation only 20-24db; channel balance 1.8db; frequency response +/- 2.5db, that's a 5db swing,

It may sound terrific, you and many may love it, I simply would not go with elliptical. 

Yes!!  I knew I was leaving one out...University Stereo.  That was also back in the day when stores could and would be next door to one another.  Anyone familiar with the San Fernando Valley...back in the 70's...a friend of mine and I would take the bus to either a Lankershim / Riverside Drive location in North Hollywood...or one on Sherman Way (near Canoga Ave) where stores sat side by side.  Unbelievable....and fun.

Thank you all for looking into my cartridge issue...while I twist in the wind trying to pull the trigger on the AT VM760SLC.  I think that is how I am gonna go.  I will go to the top of the Audio Technica MM realm and park myself there.

It has been out a few years... I wonder what "newer"  Audio Technica cart will be released.   Besides,  I think that my 50 year old Dual 1219 and its limited capabilities could not handle an MC or an MI cartridge...and all of their "delicate set-up temperaments".   Besides my ancient 1983 Yamaha Separates C-70 and M-70...with the muddy and thick Cerwin Vega D-8's should be limiting factors as well...somewhat.  My tinnitus is a factor too.  

Now I can start to ponder the 92 degree angle and the azimuth stuff. ..along with the factors involved with a platter mat...type and thickness. ..and whether a platter mat really matters.   Let us chuckle.

I will let all know the details of the AT VM760SLC.  It should proved to be interesting.

Thanks again everyone...kind of all to offer opinions...from a vast harbor of knowledge.  I really enjoy the ability to track all of the different opinions that accompany the new  and varied subjects.  

Sincerely,
vinylspin