Pondering a pair of Klipsch La Scalas

There is a beautiful pair of "classic" La Scalas for sale in the classifieds (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1137595321). I have recently acquired a Mcintosh c28 pre-amp,2100 amp, mr77 tuner and I am looking for a good pair of speakers to match. The fact that these speakers are of the same vintage is asthetically pleasing. Does anybody have an opinion on how my system will sound thru them?
snakenuckles
klipsch & mac are a perfect combo,i really liked the sound of my klipsch & solid state mac rig's,ive owned all the mac gear you have & it will pair well with the lascala's,as boa2 suggested above silver wire will make a big difference,i never got around to rewiring my khorn's with silver wire but i did do a pair of cornwall's i had,you can use silicone caulking also to dampen the horn's without any damage as it will peel right off if you dont like the change or if you decide to resell them.

boa2, i see you updated your rig pic's to include the new mc7200,it look's great in your rig,how do you guy's like it so far?

mike.
Rives comments about the Klipsch's dynamics are almost an understatment. In the early 1990's, when I was in Japan teaching graduate courses at U.S. military bases, I worked part-time selling audio gear for the base exchange system. Among the brands that I sold were Klipsch and Adcom. We had a pair of LaScalas and also K-Horns being driven by a pair of Adcom 565 monoblocks. One of the evenings I was working, several Navy CPO's came in wanting to hear the Klipsch, and I demo'ed them by playing the final passages of the Telarc "1812 Overture". When the cannon shots fired at the end of the piece, the two guys nearly jumped out of their chairs, and within moments several employees and the floor manager came running into the demo room, thinking there had been an exposion of some kind. I had a good laugh, and ever since then, Klipsch has been synonymous in my mind with dynamic range.
I think Rives may be thinking of Khorns, and not LaScala's when he is giving the lower end of their range at 35hz. I've had two pairs of La Scala's and measured both and their response dropped off severely below 50hz...this in three different spaces of varying sizesl, and two different meters.

I'd agree with the advice Boa2 gives on mods and may even add a few items, that may improve the stock LaScala's:

1. Replace stock wiring with better stuff. I like silver too.

2. Replace Crossovers with ALK's (I actuaully did like the AA crossover better in a smaller space though).

3. Dampen Mid Horn with Dynamat or the PartsExpress cheaper alternative.

4. Replace stock K77 tweeter with a more refined tweeter. I've been using a Fane tweeter, but that requires some tweaking. I believe there is a Beyma tweeter that is a drop-in replacement and reportadly an improvement (I think it is a CP-25. I can tell you the difference between the K77 and Fane was profound with the Fane revealing detail and clarity that just wasn't there with the K77.

5. Reinforce the bass cabinets. I have not done this yet, but I do believe the stock reflex bass cabinet (the lower section of the Scala's) could use some structural reinforcement (they are certainly not 'dead' when you rap on them). There's a gentleman who does modify LaScala's who designed and built a simple insert that looks stock that tightens up the cabinet sigificantly by binding up the folded section of the horn cabinet to the sides. This is the next thing I'd like to do to my LaScalas. If you are considering any Klipsch speakers you may also want to check the chat over at the Klipsch forum.

6. If you are into bass, look elsewhere, or plan to get a (very fast) sub as Howard mentioned. These speakers do not do low end. They do the mids like nobody's business and they are faster than all get-out (how fast is all get-out anyway?). Very dynamic indeed. If you want bass, go with a Khorn if you have the corners, or a Belle Klipsch if not.

Sorry, never heard them with McInGear. I was just at Howard's (Boa2) place (visiting on a business trip down south) and heard his rig with his Wright 3.5 watt SET amps and his Khorns (same drivers, but very different cabinet), and they sound wonderful (though he needs to push his couch back a few feet - or get that barber's chair you were talking about Howard! Maybe Gina can learn to use a straight razor and give you a shave while your listening). I didn't get to hear the Mac attack with the Klipsch, but will look forward to it on my trip back north when I stop by again and hopefully have a bit more time.

The SET + Klipsch combination is killer! Even bone stock it's still impressive, but get on those improvements and you'll end up wanting them to have your children. Amazing how such vintage technology is so enduring in it's achievements.

Marco
boa2, i see you updated your rig pic's to include the new mc7200,it look's great in your rig,how do you guy's like it so far?
Like it? Mike, we LOVE the McIntosh amp. It is the perfect addition to our system. We can leave it on all the time (as soon as we get our jumper leads for the speaker screws), so music is always at the ready. The sound is actually better than we'd hoped it would be. Talk about cojones. I was listening to Primus the other day, and thought the bass drum was going to disrupt my heartbeat. Thanks again for the recommendation. There's something about that amp that makes me feel like I've arrived. And my wife is ga-ga over it.

Snake,
Boa here. From one sssssssssnake to another, I'd recommend finding yerself a pair of Klipschorns. There are no additional mods required, and for the price of a pair of La Scala's + a good sub, you'll have the K-horns, and the bass wallop they pack. Also, despite the fact that they are larger, they tuck into the corners, and take up far less space in the room. Just an idea.

Marco, you nailed it. Tonight, I leaned into the back wall while sitting on my raised drum stool, and voila, the music came together like never before. Clarity, focus, balance, I was entranced. Maybe it's time for some demolition. I could take out the wall itself. Do you think the landlady will mind?
Howard - She'll get over it when she hears the improved soundstage. I'll bring the demoltion bar and Sawzall!

I'll heartily second Howard's recomendation for Khorns over LaScala's if you have the corners/space to make'em work (and if you don't I can always lend you a demolition bar). They're everything the LaScala is, and a whole lot of well-integrated bass, for a good swift kick in the low-end. Not quite as tight and clean as the mids (but that'd be a tall order given how fast those horns are), but it's there in spades and integrates quite well in spite of it.

Marco