Help Speakers trapped on bookshelves

Help! My "bookshelf" speakers are hopelessly trapped on bookshelves, with no hope of graduating to stands, and I need advice on how to minimize the sonic stifling of the bookshelves. The speakers are Totem Rainmakers fed mostly jazz, folk and rock through a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C cdp and a 640A integrated. Interconnects are Analysis Plus Oval One and speaker cables are XLO ER-12. My home office is in a penthouse room measuring 6ft wide by 13 feet long, and the speakers are relegated to sit in a set of built-in shelves on one of the short walls that includes a fold-out secretary desk. Given the small size of the room (it's the only room in our small apartment that my wife would give up), there is simply no room for speaker stands on either side of the desk, where I do most listening (nearfield I guess). Therefore, until we have a bigger place, the speakers must stay on the shelves, and I need advice on positioning, etc. I've heard that packing books all around them helps, and I've tried that with minimal effect. Also, the speakers are ported, making it even harder. Help! Just please don't suggest that I disregard my wife's input and put them on stands anyway: she's currently carrying our first two children (twins), which gives her three votes to my one. One day, the speakers will be free to roam on stands, but for now I need to tap A'gon members' ingenuity and experience to make the best of this temporary incarceration.

Thanks,
Roger
rogercmd
Roger,
I'm in the same boat as you. I have been relegated to a small room off the kitchen (8' by 10'). I have my rig on a workbench brand desk where the equipment and speakers are on the top shelf, right above my pc monitor. So that right, I'm listening very near field (the Audio Physics philosophy really got to me) as I sit at the desk and listen to the rig. The speakers (bottoms) are 5 inches above my head and about 2 feet away. There are no shelves above the speakers and only one side way nearby.
My rig consists of Epos ESL 3 speakers mounted on Vibrapod units, Pathos Classic MkII integrated amp, Analysis Plus speaker cables, RS silver interconnects and a Arcam cd73T player. I'm very pleased with the sound. Someday I plan to be back in the living room where I once had Mag 3.6r, Spectral preamp, BelCanto Evo2 amp and Meridian cd player.
I wouldn't put books near your speakers. I would experiment with toe-in and vibration control devices to help keep the sound as clean as possible. If you still find the speakers bass response unacceptable then I would consider other speakers that work better in your environment.

good luck on all fronts!
Some very nice small speakers are designed for bookshelves (Soliloquy, Linn, Kef all make some). You may do better with these. I would never use a rear ported speaker on a bookshelf. Front ports may work.
My biggest suggestion if you insist on keeping your speakers is a really nice small sub. This will greatly reduce the air movement and vibration from your speakers. If you can place the sub in the center (under the desk?), you could get away with a higher crossover frequency (200hz?). Otherwise, you can hide a sub almost anywhere, just don't cross it over above 120hz or so.
Move. You will need a bigger place anyway. Your wife won't allow you to listen to headphones either because you are not paying attention to the kids. So the real answer is you S#%T out of luck as far as this hobby goes.
Thanks for all your responses so far. I really love the Rainmakers in my price range, and I'd rather get a different room set-up than get different speakers at this point. Again, I consider this a temporary arrangement. As Mechans said, we'll need more room for the babies soon anyway! But in the meantime, I have to make the best of it.

I currently do lots of listening with Grado SR-80 headphones, as Goheelz suggested, but there are many times that I'd rather listen untethered.

I'll try plugging the ports (rear, unfortunately) and playing with toe-in. Keep the advice coming... I'm glad to see that some other folks are in the same boat. Makes me feel better.

Roger
Roger:

There is always the $200 or so solution. Try a pair of basic Orb Speakers or the Nucleus Micro Speakers from Gallo. These little cubes were made for set-ups like yours and their design actually compensates for the associated room anomalies. If the cubes are not to your liking, try a pair of NHT SB-1's which can be had for under $200 if you shop around. They are acoustic suspension design and can be placed on shelves; near rear walls and perform beautifully. The SB-2's are the only speaker that I have been pleased with in a similar bedroom set-up. Then you can save the Totems for when you can use them as you would like.

Regards, Rich