Velodyne DD: 10 or 12?

Will be replacing a REL Strata II which is very nice, but a recent upgrade has left me looking for more. I like the room correction idea but now am wondering if I should upsize. The Strata II is an 8" driver and seems to have provided adequate bass in my large-ish room, but maybe that is due to down-firing? The floor is carpet over wood, with a full-height basement beneath so there is some reverb due to that. Am also using a Gramma/SubDude which I like and will probably keep.

For budget reasons am considering only the 10 or 12, so the 15 and 18 are not really players for me. Looking at specs the only diff seems to be 1.7" in driver size, amps, etc all the same, and the 12 goes 1 hz lower, which I don't see as significantly different. Is the 12 worth the extra $500 msrp for a budget-conscious decision? Obviously I can afford it if I am considering it but prefer to not overspend.

Would be interested to hear esp from users who have weighed this type of choice before.

On an aside, which finish is preferred in general? The gloss black is no doubt attractive but am concerned about how it would wear. Most of the gear is black/dark but it is parked on a Salamander Twin 20, in cherry, which seems to be close to the Velo cherry.
kck
80 Hz is a good point because it's around there that we start losing localisation making the blending with the main spkrs easier. Also the high frequency sound fm a 12' subwoof driver is not linear (that driver wasn't made to tackle midbass).
As to the dip, don't worry -- try it: crossing over at, say, 80Hz means that you ATTENUATE the sound 80Hz (+upwards) from the subwoof so there is overlap with yr main spkrs. If the blend is good, keep it.

Finally, the 12' if you want to afford it is a better bet for low frequency reproduction -- its displacement volume is better than the 10'.
Generally, Velodyne makes nice user-friendly subwoofs.
Hard to swallow but I am still on the fence. I spoke with someone at Velodyne and he said something along the lines of "10 and 12 are toys". I believe this has been mentioned before on AA or here so no secret if I say that. How much if this is marketing boost for the 15 and 18 and how much is truth? I cannot stretch to the big boys but do not want to get a 'toy' for $3K.

Also a question regarding vented subs like my REL. From an ad for a closed sub: "Vented systems are usually unsuitable for music because of port noise, low system Q (that causes bass overhang), and phase issues at resonance frequency."

True? In general, does a closed sub make more sense for a music-only system? As you can see I am very much still climbing that learning curve of subwooferland.

Yeah I have heard that as well. Its nonsense. I really
don't understand why Velodyne says stuff like that.
It undermines what are IMO great products. If your leaning
toward a DD-10 or 12 don't hesitate. They are excellent
subwoofers despite what Velodyne might say. Remember room
size matters.
Its nonsense
It isn't. As usual, it's matter of design & engineering -- but in a mediocre ported design you can have inconsistencies in the low f reproduction & noise... which doesn't mean that people selling ported subwoofs, all, necessarily under-design their products!
Although belated, I had the occassion to speak with 'Kurt' at Velodyne support, (Az). About my old 10" Velo, and some connection alternatives, yesterday. Also we spoke about room size and appropriate sub applications for it.

I thought along the lines of 'two' subs. two 12's. Kurt said one 15 is better. Huh? One 15 is better than 2 x 12? yes was the reply. I still don't understand exactly, but he's been doing this sort of thing for a long, long, time... and the Velo support guy.... so perhaps he knows better. he added most very low end tones were mixed monaurally and not in stereo anyhow, and given the expense of an additional sub, especially in the SPL or DD range...well, I think I have my answer.

Also on a more 'setup' based issue... in using two vs. one, (SPL-R or DD), set up one and then the other... not at the same time... and as said above, you could simply daisy chain them together... One other isolation note and it comes from being his opinion solely, Spiking the sub isn't necessary, nor is isolating it... just set it onto the carpet, or if on a wooden floor, a good thick piece of carpeting is good enough. Thought to pass that along as it seemed most appropriate.