Why do some audiophiles beat up McIntosh?

I've been around audio my entire life. I'm 45 and I bought a decent Technics system when I was 12 with my paper route money. Genesis speakers built in New England which were actually pretty darned good. I would spin vinyl every single day to the point it drive my parents crazy. My buddies father had a McIntosh system that I was in love with and he was allowed to play it. It was haunting for me to hear his fathers system.

Fast forward 28 years later and I'm perplexed at the hatred I see posted online about McIntosh. Is it really that bad or is everyone upset that McIntosh is so successful? It doesn't make sense to me that the resale value is the best in the business yet audiophiles bash them. I personally have always loved their gear and sound. I don't own any, and probably never will. Still, I just don't get it. I've always admired McIntosh. Looks aside, I always enjoyed the music. Can someone tell me that they're junk or do you just not like the presentation?
donjr
MAC's lower priced intergrateds 6300/6600 are poor sounding when considering cost. My Valve Audio Predator destroys both models. I bet a properly working NAD S300(<$1K used) would crush these as well! Reliabilty of their cd players/transports has also been an issue. Another factor is the smug brainwashed loyalty of many owners.
1. I have owned 4 different pieces of Mcintosh equipment (MR67, MR80, C28,7083). The problem with Mcintosh is their inconsistant sonic performance from unit to unit.
Mcintosh makes some electronics that sound superb (MC275/MA275/MC2301) and some pieces that sound like sonic turds (Mcintosh 1700/1900/4280 receivers, MCD7000 CD player, MC2KW Amplifier. The company needs to listen and benchmark its equipment before releasing it to the public. If the product isn't the best that can be made at a specific price point then Mcintosh should not put their name on the product.

2. By the way, Mcintosh equipment is not overpriced (in today's marketplace) and in some cases their products are underpriced. You just have to listen closely before you buy a piece of Mcintosh gear.
Was in the biz back in the day, sold SME, Ariston, Dynavector, Accustat, H-K, Hafler, Crown, Rogers & more. Had a ton of it all in my home, and auditioned Threshold, Krell, Levinson, Logan, Snell, Magnepan, Grace, AKG, Empire, Conrad Johnson, Koetsu, Revox, B&O... List is endless. Boils down to perceived value and what your ears like.

Today, almost all my stuff is McIntosh with a few leftovers that can't readily be replaced for less than what I consider to be stupid money. From my perspective, you can spend a lot more money, but you can't get significantly better than Mc. It does what it does, well and without hassle. Are compromises made? Sure, but then everything in life is a compromise and the ones McIntosh makes work for me.
Audiozen,
For once, I almost agree with you. Yes, they don't use boutique parts and the priciest casework, but then they are only a fraction of the price of the brands that you mention. I recently updated my old Mac 2105 amp with new speaker terminals, input jacks and IEC input. The old stuff was dated and pathetic by today's standards. That said, even in it's older condition, it sounded far more like real music than the Pass Labs X250.5 that I thought I had to have. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. So in the end, talk is talk, and as it is with most controversial topics, there will always be someone like Paladin giving an opinion that is based on an opinion.
To each his own, and let's remember that it's about music, not brand names.