Do you get Ringing in the Ears from your hi-fi?

Lets face it, any prolonged exposure to loud sound can produce a permanent hearing loss. Even ONE exposure to sound over 120 DB for a few minutes can permanently damage the delicate ear apparatus. Have you found yourself buying higher powered amps and turning the volume up over the years, or have you joined the ranks of those listening to 6" speakers and 2 watt triodes? I limit my exposure to under 15 minutes per day. Some say that a person can listen an ultra clean sounding, low distortion system without any hearing loss, such as in a recording studio. I have found that listening to sealed enclosure speakers(klh or AR) produces more hearing loss that a bass reflex speaker will. Have you ever noticed RINGING IN THE EARS after listening to your stereo? This is actually an indication of damage to the hearing mechanism.
mint604
I am 62 and tinnius is part of my life, do not remember a day without. The pitch I hear is quite loud, I would have to listen to music a little loud to cover it up. Never went to a rock concert. The loudest sound I ever heard was jet power truck at the drag strip, just had to plug my ears, WAY to loud. The sound set off some car alarmes in the parking lot which was further from the source.

I always sleep with a fan on mostly for the sound, but after reading this thread, I'll add a timer to it.
Mike, that's one crazy story. What was his life like once he had his hearing back in that ear?
It's a real bummer to get tinnitus. One day I had perfect hearing....the next tinnitus. I don't know what caused it..too many concerts or? I do know that it makes being an audiophile very difficult since you can get distortions during playback. No cure, no fun. I now protect my hearing in all loud situations and you learn to live with the constant ringing.....be careful!!
One thing that I have noticed with the ringing in my ears; since I have switched to silk soft dome tweeter speakers from speakers with metal tweeters, the ringing does not increase after a listening session. The speaker change was coupled with a tube amp change as well. Actually, I went from all SS to an integrated with a tube in the pre section and a SS amp section.
Just a thought.
Can't say what effect your system might be having on the ringing in your ears, but I have tinnitus (not from my system though) and that I am able to reduce it considerably by lowering my salt intake. This is something that is frequently recommended by doctors for people with tinnitus. Tinnitus can also be exacerbated by taking aspirin. You really should see a doctor about this, though. What would you do if you started to have trouble seeing because your vision was turning cloudy?