Soliloquy 6.2 Very Poor Treble .....

After several calls to David Berman at Soliloquy, without a response. I will put it to the Audiogoner's . Will I need to change the tweeter or rebuild the crossover to "brighten up" the highs in this speaker....Or should I just trade them off and start over ????. I kind of like the speakers if I could get them to sound a little better. Maybe that is why they are no longer in the speaker business...I think that changing the tweeter would be the easiest but I will be open-minded.....Thanks
autospec
Good morning Guys.

Autospec check out this site http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html it contains some really good stuff.

Reverse engineering the circuit, it appears we have a 2nd order Xover, an L-Pad, and a Zobel all wrapped into one... and somewhat mixed about but I suppose the specific order isnt all that important.

How did yor sound change Autospec? Better?
I am absolutely confounded by this...

Question #1. Dont both L-Pads or Zobel networks require a resistor to be wired in parallel?

All the resistors in this crossover are in series. Unless you count the first one. The first component, a 6.2ohm resistor, is wired to a large Cap which has three leads one of which goes to the Coil, which is parallel. Another lead goes to a smaller Cap which feeds the tweeter positive, therefore making this a 3rd order high pass. But wait theres more, a third lead from the aforementioned large Cap also feeds a 15ohm resistor, which also feeds the tweeter positive, making this a 2nd order and a 3rd order. My head hurts! ...or is this some kind of series matching network? [Q. 1(a)]

So question #2. Since the Coil is parallel and a resistor feeds it via a Cap. Would that resistor be parallel or equivalent to parallel?

...or am I just all wrong? If so, please set me free!
That is a "cool" web-site ....How in the world did you find it ? I have put it in my favorites. I have a old rheostat that is 0-20 ohms that I'm goint put in the crossover and listen to it at different setting untel I find where they sound the best . I will then measure it and put a resistor the same value....I'm still going to try the Ribbon tweeter....I have made all the measurements and they are almost the same.....The G2-si ribbon is 110 mm and the opening on the speaker cabinet is 112 mm....
Distortion, from two of the above posts, I was also a bit intrigued by your crossover. Is there any possibility of providing a picture?

It is possible that the coil is in parallel, which is what one of your descriptions implied. In that case, my next question is to describe the network on the woofer. Does the capacitor there run in parallel with the woofer? While I wouldn't exactly be surprised, as I had heard the speaker they produced which was geared to 2A3 amplification (SMsomethingorother?) used a series crossover, it is rare - the Frieds we produce which ALL use series crossovers.

Yes, both L Pads and Zobel require a resitor in parallel. The L Pad consists of one resistor in series with the tweeter, along with one, downstream, in parallel. The Zobel consists of a capacitor and resistor in parallel.
Trelja, Good morning. Yes, I can email you a picture. It may be Friday before I get a chance to fiddle again. Tonight I must rack and bottle at least 75 bottles of Bordeaux. Can you say, sore back! ...and then I promised a friend, my Wife and I would have Sushi with Him and his new girlfriend. I'll shoot you a quick note through the A'gon system tonight. If you reply then I'll attach the pic and reply directly to you. Would you prefer a certain resolution?

The Coil on the Tweeter network is absolutely parallel. It attaches to one of the three positive leads coming from the large Cap and is wired directly to the negative post from the Amp, which in turn has a jumper soldered directly to the negative post from the Tweeter.

There is one Cap (identically sized to the Tweeter Cap FWIW), a somewhat larger gauge and winding Air Coil, and one 4 ohm Ceramic Resistor on the Midwoofer Board. The Coil is absolutely in series. My memory is saying, that the Midwoofer Cap and Resistor were in series on the negative leg with the Coil in series on the positive leg. Clearly my memory failed me badly last time, so I need to reaffirm this. I'll draw this circuit next time too.

Autospec, I tried jumping all the Resistors. The 15ohm Resistor added alot of treble, too much for me. The 6.2 was a little hot as well. The 4ohm seemed best. Also, jumping only the small Cap had a profound effect on "sparkle" without allowing the lower treble ranges to come to far forward. I would give that a try too.