ARC Support

FWIW, I'll relate my recent experience with Audio Research Corp. I've been a customer of AR for some years, on and off, including the purchase of reference gear over the years. I recently have had to place most of my system up for sale due to personal reasons, and this included a pair of Reference 300 MKII amps purchased new in Dec 2000. I accepted an offer from a gentleman in France at a fair agreed upon price. He asked that I ship them to AR to have them swapped out to 220 for use in Europe, and have them shipped on to him. The cost of the service was not an issue. Anyway, without going into the agonizingly frustrating details, heres what happened in a nutshell: AR told me basically they wouldn't do it because it would mean the possibility of losing a NEW sale for them and their European distributor. They were/are seemingly more concerned with selling a new product, in Europe, than supporting a long time customer who purchased this product at a local US dealer at 10% off list price of 30K. I explained the guy wasn't going to buy new anyway, it was beyond his price point. Didn't seem to matter. My point isn't to engender debate between AR supporters and detractors. This is merely my experience, take it for what it's worth. I personally am incredulous, find this to be in poor form, and certainly am not inclined to patronize AR in the future.
mes
Rosemke: Sorry to say you are one out of ten. I do not feel the mods, parts and service to be reasonable. When you deal with other companies, such as BAT or Aesthetix, the turnaround time on repairs or changes is lightning quick. With ARC, it may be months before a reapir is done and sent back. Those companies do not nickle and dime you... ARC does. ARC also appears to not care about anything but how to squeeze people for more money. Like clockwork, they release expensive "upgrades" just to milk the current customers until they get fed up and move to something else.

I am happy to hear that ARC finally has a happy customer - it is a miracle! I feel the company and the people who work there to be an absolute joke and an embarrassment to the rest of the industry.
No disrespect for what sounds like a very real problem, but I personally have used ARC products for years with incredible results. I've talked to Leonard several times and was treated very well. Actually, in my view, perhaps we should be proud of a US company that has in many ways managed to lead this 'finicky industry' for over 30 years!
I've delt with Mr. Leonard several times over the past decade and have always received EXCELLENT advice and service! He is a true gentelman. The company as a whole is rather tight assed and (except for their ravishing sounding equipment) backward. Isn't it great that there are so many alternatives here in the "Golden Age" of audio?
I've been in this sport over 30 years and am just awe struck
at the current level of (admittedly overpriced) achievement.
If you don't like 'em, go next door to the other guy -It's the only language they understand...
This isn't that uncommon. Some manufacturers are very protective of their dealers. This is a good thing if you're a dealer obviously. I'm sure that there are service centers that can do this. There's one in Brooklyn, and another in San Fran that I know about.
PS: Turnaround on ARC repairs in my experience and that of everyone I know (large Audio Research community where I live) has never been more than 3 weeks and on average about 2-6 business days (not including shipping time). When you have only been around making products for less time than it takes a child to finish the 6th grade (BAT included) you simply do not have as much out there to repair or if your equipment is as old as Audio Research's inception (1970) your equipment is not repairable due to lack of parts support (ARC is like a White Knight in customer support compared to the large percentage Home Theatre throw away electronic products that are not worth 20 percent of their original value 6-8 years from date of manufacture)or the company has gone belly up or been bought up. Included in this list are companies that made excellent performing products like Threshold, Coda, Kinergenics etc etc etc. ARC stands for lasting value in the face of landfill "home theatre" foder. Another case in point, my Rotel RHT-10's (their best tuner they made and one of the best period) remote, cosmetic pieces (like the case and face plate) are not available. So to those that spent $1500 on a NEW Rotel RHT-10 Tuner in 1993-1995 (dates of manufacture) give Rotel a call and ask about these parts. They will likely phrase it like they told me "we don't stock remotes or face plates and cases for that "old" tuner". That is Pride (?) or in Home Theatre vernacular "Virtual Pride". An upgrade at ARC most of time lets you keep you upgrade your existing equipment where upgrades at many other companies means a new model. There is always an upgrade cost. It, in part, depends how much "consumption of the world's (our) resources" you like to be (upgrade the internal parts) or throw aside heavy exploitative mineralogic costs of those thick faceplates and cases. However, toward environmental responsible purchases I will have to give the praise to Bel Canto for not making "ego" centric thick faceplates and their new Evo Technology being nearly 100% efficient (200 watts to speakers and ~200 watts from the wall). Compare that to Class A designs that are about 10% efficient (200 watts to speakers and ~1800 watts from the wall). Lets just hope that Bel Canto, if they are around in 30 years, will support their products like Audio Research. That will be a real winner for not just the listener but the entire planet.