Tube Dampers - what's the story?

I've read conflicting reports on their effectiveness.Any input or recommendations ??
david99
I recently installed the ARC tube rings (dampers) in both my SP-8 and the input drivers on the amp, ARC D-115 Mk2. The improvement in focus and separation of the instruments along with a dramatic improvement in dynamics is not subtle. Highly recommended. You can order direct from Audio Research (ask for Leonard)Phone 763-577-9700. They cost 5.00 per tube and there are 2 rings per tube.
The Audio Research dampers you guys like are the 3M. They do not melt on the tube. The tube dampers Otiscat speaks of, must have been another brand, probably made of sorbothane. The sorbothane not only melts and deforms as he describes, but is at the bottom of my list on sound as a tube damper material.
John and Tubegroover are right about the Audio Research tube dampers. I put them on my Audible Illusions preamp and I was blown away by the improvements in focus and dynamics. At 5.00 per tube this is a tweek you cant afford to pass up. Best 20.00 dollars i have spent on audio.