ebay vs audiogon

I have bought equipment on both audiogon and ebay this past year and would say that I am definitely more comfortable with the former vs the latter. Twice recently equipment was misrepresented on ebay. On the first one paypal helped me recover my money. On the second it wasn't worth going crazy on (some scuffing on the top of a DVD player), but still left me hesitant to buy there again.

Hat's off to the audiogoner's for greater trustworthiness and honor.
quicke
I think the biggest problem in ebay is the "power sellers". A lot of these pick the stuff up from estates or whereever, and often no nothing about high-end audio, etc. They really dont even know HOW to list the items properly. Some guy had a Pioneer Elite CLD-95 Laserdisc player listed as Dolby Digital capable. I looked it up to make sure (I was already pretty sure it wasnt DD capable), and sure enough, it was not. I emailed him and he thanked me and changed the listing.
The typical ebay user has probably never sat in front of a home stereo system to listen for differences in cables. My guess is most audiogon members have. Point is that ebay and audiogon attract a different type of person, and lets face it guys, audiophiles are different...but in a good way...right?

Let hope the community thing here keeps up. Sure every once and a while you find that awesome deal but the sense of community is the really cool thing here.
I forgot to mention in my last reply, a year or so ago I had listed my pair of Kharma CE 1.0s here on Audiogon. I had numerous pictures and a fairly thorough description included in the listing. I received an email from another Audiogon member telling me it looked as though someone had taken my ad and duplicated it on Ebay as an auction. I tried to contact Ebay and the only way I could file a complaint was to join Ebay. Well to make a long story shorter, some lucky person thought he bought a mint pair of Kharmas for less than half of what I would have sold them for. You go Ebay!!!
People are people, it's naive to think that good guy's are on Audiogon and all the crooks migrate to eBay. If you exercise some diligence you can trade on eBay without significant risk. The feedback system works just as well on eBay as it does on AG. Anyone who has consistent positive feedback will work hard to protect it, and you should be able to trade with them without worry. Someone who has not established much of a reputation through the feedback system may not have the same desire to preserve their feedback rating and might represent more of a risk.
Remember that eBay is a much larger community than AG, so you're exposed to a much larger mix of people.
If the feedback system isn't enough, you can often guage what a person is about by the way they construct their ad. Is the person clearly knowledgable about the equipment they own, have they provided suitable images, are they responsive to emails, will they provide a telephone number etc.
It's common sense and there's no need to get burned if you use it.
I've been trading on eBay for several years and for a little longer on Agon. I probably have over 300 transactions on eBay and only 20 or so through Agon, yet my one bad online experience was through Agon.
There are exceptions to the rule in any situation.

Rooze
the term "POWERSELLER" of which im proudly part of that group can only be obtained by high volume sales & a feedback profile that stays above 98% positive at all times.

also the term powerseller does not refer to the sellers expertise in any certain area of selling other than the seller is honest & try's to do a good deal.

you cant just look at the power seller icon next to a sellers name & expect the seller to be all knowing because he sells alot,if the guy's feedback shows that most of his feedback come's from selling stuff other than hifi gear then questions need to be asked.

ive done about 200 deals on ebay of which 99% were very nice & went well but i have had a few goofy asses too & in my case the same numbers apply to dealing on audiogon.

my worst experience in a deal was with a buyer who smashed the glass face on a mcintosh amp on purpose in order to get ups to pay an insurance claim which just so happened to include newer stlye end caps that would match his other gear,i checked with a few of the people who left feedback for this guy & the horror stories came pouring in from sellers who had been threatened with viloence & manupliated into sending this guy cash back & this was on audiogon.

its silly for anybody to sit up on their cloud & brand all ebay traders as liars & thieves or ignorant slobs who dont have a clue what their selling beacuse that couldnt be farther from the truth.

mike.