Fedex or UPS?

Which is the safer bet when shipping something heavy such as an amplifier? I have never shipped such a heavy item before. Thanks
audiofire5228
Its a crap shoot. FedEx over night has been the best for me. Had a 125 lb amp sent to me. FLS dlivered a skid of 250 lb speakers no problem. Contributing factors to damage are poor packing, how many times the item is handled before it arrives and unfortunately luck. It does cost more to ship next day, but it will cut down on man-handling. Alway check the rating of the boxes you ship in. If you ship a 100 lb item in a box rated at 75 lb it may not be covered if damaged.
As stated earlier in the thread, good packing is the key. With am amp you should be able to throughly pack it in a paper box and then put a wooden crate around that. That's the safest way besides shipping via air. Packages that travel on the ground are loaded and unloaded much much more than an air package which is part of the reason that ground packages are more likely to be damages. Traveling over-road for hundreds of miles also increases the likely-hood of damage.
Avoid the UPS store like the plaque, they are NOT UPS!!!!
REPEAT, THEY ARE NOT UPS. The insurance is a joke, they have destroyed two pieces. UPS says go to the UPS store as they are the shipper and they ain't US, or UPS.

Just beware, however, like Kinko's ground FedEx is better?

loon
I love the notes about good packing!!
Since it is inevitable that some rough handling will occur on some shipments.....
Try to use BAX Global Or Menlo asking a favour to a business friend (they work with business only).