No one cares this is the anniversary?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/dday/

I kept thinking all day that someone else would do this.

There was a lot of blood left on the beaches in France this day 60 years ago so Europe would be free from oppression.

There was a special this morning on History Channel, where one survivor, barely 17 years old that day tearfully described his fallen comrades and his realization that he narrowly escaped death.

We owe these soldiers, living and dead, a debt of gratitude.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Thank you for initiating this thread, Albert.

It will not and cannot ever be forgotten.
My grandfather was in the war, he was an advanced intel scout (aka spy); he was captured behind enemy lines and held in a camp for eighteen months. He eventually came back home to Canada but was never the same, the horrors he witnessed/endured changed him and certainly not for the better.

While my grandfather was overseas, my dad had to quit school (in grade nine) to support his mom and himself. My dad ended up eventually making a living in IT but was never compensated the way the better educated folks were. Do I remember the sacrifices? You bet I do, it touched my entire family.
Good Bless the Men and Woman who served,We said a Prayer at church yesterday for them and their famalies.
Tomryan's attempt to draw an analogy between Iraq and Germany is fallacious. The question is whether current events in Iraq will or will not unfold as the Bush administration predicts. The fact that various negative predictions from Life and the New York Times in 1946 about Germany have been refuted by historical hindsight has no bearing on whether current predictions about Iraq will or will not be proven correct. Only time will tell--not misleading analogies that ignore the vast differences between the circumstances of 1946 and 2004.