Time to reflect - why do you post on Audiogon.....

Obviously the majority of posters are seeking help making decisions about purchases, but there exists an underlying group of regular contributors and it is to these folks that I address this question. I'll start -

I love this hobby and music. I've gotten valuble help over the years, as well as having been skinned by opportunists and my own imagination. When I discovered this site a few years ago it appeared to be an excellent place for me to help those whom I can to enjoy the hobby as I do and, at the same time, provide a few with warnings about certain pitfalls and myths. I do not work in the industry nor do I sell product (not even my own stuff - you have to see my closet!) My reward comes on those few occasions when I know I have helped some one or even rarer occasions when some one takes a moment to say thanks.

Why do you post?
newbee
To answer the question:

I started when I bought the Dakiom Feedback Stabilizers and they required a written review of 100 words or greater to get their "introductory offer." There's no way they could have enforced the agreement (there was a little box the customer had to check on the internet order form as I recall), but I thought it might be a good idea to keep my word. Then some people had some intelligent things to say in the thread following the review, and I thought that was kind of cool. Since then it's been to hear what people have to say and to gather information on specific questions. There are quite a few really smart people who post on this site, in my opinion.

Finally, practically none of my local friends are audiophiles, so the Audiogon community is really a great group to be able to talk with. For me it's become a refuge from the stresses of work and a site where it's possible to interact enthusiastically with a group of like minded people, even if opinions are widely divergent on many issues. That diversity of opinion can be a source of contention, but it also (usually) adds to the informational value of a discussion and sometimes it's downright hilarious to see people argue back and forth about some arcane issue.
Newbee,

You mentioned the word "expectations". This, I believe, is the dark heart of the Audiophile Nervosa that so many people get afflicted with. Me too to some extent, but I recognize the symptoms when it starts to get a grip on me. A simple lowering of one’s expectation really does wonders in increasing your enjoyment. It does for me, anyway.

Case in point (briefly). I relatively recently sold my very expensive preamp and amps while waiting for an integrated amp. In the time lag between this equipment, I had nothing to power my speakers, so I bought Denon’s least expensive 2 channel receiver. My expectation was not high at all (it being about 100 times less expensive than what was there previously), but my enjoyment factor went up! I keep this little tidbit of information in mind when I feel my “expectations” are getting a little too high and thus suppressing my enjoyment.
Newbee - I just came to a few conclusions myself on this subject, which I posted on 3/30/07 to this other thread. Rather than spewing it all out here again, thought I'd point you over there as it's an interesting thread.

Best,

Marco
Marco, It was interesting for sure. Your reasons for posting have always been apparent, to me at least.

For some reason that thread reminds me of the integrated v SLR thread (I love playing with that analogy as I'm sure you've noted). So much on these forums has more to do with PP than anything else. Perception and perspective, not yellow fluid, is what makes conversations interesting, or not, especially for those who are open to alternative ways/thoughts. :-)