Who's the Cadillac of Hi-End Audio?

In "Get Shorty" John Travolta's character arrives in Los Angeles and the only car available at the rental agency is a minivan. Throughout the film people question why he's driving such an "uncool" vehicle and his character's response is "It's the Cadillac of minivans." By the end of the film everybody is driving the Cadillac of minivans.

Being that cars and hi-end audio have absolutely nothing to do with each other, notwithstanding so called hi-end auto systems, what company do you think is the Cadillac of hi-end audio? What's the Porsche? What's the Dodge Dart? Is any hi-end company as quirky as Saab? For that matter, what's the Harley-Davidson of hi-end audio?

My vote for the Cadillac goes to McIntosh. Both are old school companies with proud histories. Yet each offers products that while not cutting edge, are quite modern. Still, there are no documented cases of anyone under the age of 50 having purchased either brand within the last 30 years.

Except for my answer there are no wrong or right answer responses. Use you imagination and freely express your biases and preconceived notions.
128x128onhwy61
They are American designed and made. I have a short list of speakers which I would like to replace them including Sony SS-M9ED; B&W Signature 30's; Kharma Ceramique 1.0; or Wilson Watt/Puppies. So no Pbb I am very happy with the American Sony speakers I have.

You are probably one of the people who buy based on Consumer Reports recommendations, even though experts in the individual areas always disagree with their findings. If you are happy driving you honda or whatever, keep it. I will stick to better made German, Swedish, British, and American cars. I hope your knowledge of HiFi is better than that of cars or it must be ugly in your listening room.
You know I'm not interested in debating why I like car X more than someone else likes car B, but I think generalizations should be taken to be exactly such and exceptions should always be minded.

In direct response to the commentary about my knowledge of audio, I can't dispute that my audio knowledge is relatively dismal. With respect to motor vehicles however, I have designed, built, tested, and driven small scale formula cars while I've also been exposed to and driven high performance cars in a track environment.

I won't dispute the fact that the performance advantages of German cars aren't *necessary* any more than a $30k system is necesary over a $1k system. If it's good enough for a user and it makes him(her) happy then I wish them the best. However, it's another fair generalization that a high performance car brings benefits to lower echelons of the operational envelope. Many audio parallels can be drawn here and I will leave illustration to the users unless specifically requested to elaborate.

None of my claims have yet spoken poorly of Japanese cars from an objective standpoint. However it seems a popular opinion of users thus far that as a whole these cars are somewhat bland, of high quality, and appliance-like.

With regard to JD Power and their awarding process, this organization sells the results of their studies to manufacturers. This kind of behavior is heavily discouraged and is not tolerated in this particular community (i.e. dealer plugs in the form of "reviews" and "i'll give you a 30% discount if you refer 3 friends"). I have no intention of directly questioning the integrity of JD Power, but even if their tests are unswayed by market conditions some of the award categories are a little questionable and probably unnecessary. I am reminded of a Chrysler commercial a few years ago (maybe 5 or 6) where one of their vehicles was ranked "Number One in Initial Quality". If I'm going to leave my car on the showroom floor I suppose that's fine. If I'm going to drive it I would prefer to see a better measure of the vehicle's ability along with a pedigree of high performance engineering.
Car & Driver recently compared six luxury sedans (Jaguar XJ6, MB S430, Lexus LS430, Audi A8, VW Phaeton and BMW 745). They highly rated all of the vehicles as great cars to own and drive, but the Lexus nosed out the Jag for top honors. Except for best highway ride the Lexus didn't excel at anything, but at the same time it did absolutely nothing wrong. It's overall excellence won it first place. That plus it's the only car with rear seat headrest massagers as standard equipment.
I think Caddy's new image is like Jaguars new image.Plus a good many pop,rock,hip hop,rap and sports stars own them now.

I assume most of them are under 50.Considering Cadillacs corporate direction just a few years back,I am impressed with the turn.