Question About Low Frequency Sounds

I came across the following info on the internet and I can't figure out whether it makes any sense or not.

Sound frequencies below 20Hz (even up to 30Hz) can directly affect states of consciousness. For those of you who don't know, our brains vibrate at different frequencies depending on the level of awareness (consciousness) we are in. Consciousness lies on a continuum. The scale is as follows:

.5-3Hz - Delta. This is the sleep state.
4-7Hz - Theta. The meditative/hypnotic state.
8-12Hz - Alpha. The "relaxed alert" state.
13-20Hz - Beta. Normal wakeful consciousness.
20-32Hz - High beta. Manic states.

Does anybody know anything about this? If true, it's implications on music reproduction could be profound.
128x128onhwy61
Onhwy61,

I am well aware of what region Rap musics bass is concentrated, my comment was meant in jest.

Furthermore, I enjoy listening to some of it. As far as you finding my statement offinsive, GROW UP!
Aircraft designers have learned that any tendancy for the plane to oscillate (say in pitch attitude) at 1 to 2 Hz should be avoided. Humans (and that includes pilots) can't cope with that frequency, and when they try to do so they induce worse oscillations. Slower, they can follow, and faster they can average.
Flashing lights and sound at certain frequencies can also be distracting.
Thanks for all the intelligent responses. Here's a link to the site where I found the info. Someone named "MusicMedicine" is the main contributor.

I've experienced nausea when exposed to low frequency sounds, so I have an inkling about how powerful sound can be. I'm just wondering if this effect is used in movie theaters or dance clubs to elicit emotional responses in the audience. Also, vinyl playback can produce all sorts of low frequency resonances and I wonder how this might influence the emotional states of the listener.