Conrad Johnson vs. McIntosh Tube Gear

Does anyone have any experience comparing a McIntosh MC275 with their C2200 tube preamp versus a comparable tube Conrad Johnson amp/preamp? My speakers are ribbon hybrids (forward and clean; 96 dB efficient) and I am looking for a lush warm sound and unfortunately can't find a dealer within 500 miles that has either on the floor. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these two brands? Any suggestions?
db2sub1
I have had just the opposite experience as Arthur. All the CJ equipment I have heard has been very musical (cj's forte). While the Mac stuff has been rather ho-hum. I guess to each his own and everybody has different tastes in what they like. A dealer near me sells both so I have the oppurtunity to hear them side by side on several occasions.

Chuck
I bought a new MC275 to drive my Gallo Ref 3.1 (88dB efficiency). This is not at all a "lush" amp. It is quick and lively. It mates very well with the Gallos, so much so that I bought a companion C220 preamp based on the experience. This is my first McIntosh gear and I am very, very impressed with it.
I initiated this thread and sincerely appreciate the advice of my fellow enthusiasts. My current electronics are Quicksilver Triode monoblocks (6C33C version) controlled by the Quicksilver line stage preamp. I am very happy with the sound of this gear especially after replacing the factory tubes with vintage Telefunkens and Mullards but perhaps it is simply time for a change and I am looking for something less accurate and more romantic sounding. Is there other gear (Cary, VTL, Manley, etc) that is in the $6-9000 range more suited to my goal? If a good 300B based amp would drive my Ambience Reference 1600s I'd be so inclined but I frankly don't think they have enough power. Thanks again.
I understand Cary may have the characteristics you seek. I have not herd Cary equipment but have people describe it as lush and smooth in a good way; kinda like cj of old. I have been researching Cary a bit as I am looking at purchasing a 300SEI for a system for my cottage. Good Luck in your search.

Chuck
Those amps are supposed to be very good. I owned V4's,
although I am sure they are different sounding than the
Triodes. The V4's were definitely on the warmer side. I
guess all I am thinking here is, have you tried a different
preamp. I am sure the Quickie line pre is good for the
money, but can easily be improved upon. Maybe try a Cary
or the Mc 2200. How about a used premier 16LS. I really
liked my Mk.1 version of that pre.