cd burning speed

i've previously read here that to make the best sounding copy, you should burn at 1-2x only. although i definitely hear a difference between different blank cd-rs (cheapies don't sound as good), i don't hear a difference between copies burned at 1x or 16x. who's right? thanks for your response.
kb54
Check out a few online reviews for data CD-Rs; I assume that the quality of data CDs a particular writer will produce is closely correlated with the quality of audio CDs (this assumption may be wrong). Some actually perform _better_ at higher write speeds than they do at lower speeds. But, in general, lower write speeds are better. For many CD burners, you can find their performance with different media at different speeds. For example, check out some of the reviews at cdfreaks.com.

Auda ibn Jad
There have been several posts about this topic in the past; and it might be worthwhile to look them up. I own a commercial media duplication company and we've not only copied thousands of CDs and CD-ROMs, but even more DVDs. Generally speaking, slower burn speeds equal cleaner results. I duplicate most of my personal discs at 2X speed on a dual well Marantz professional CD recorder, and have never had a disc that didn't sound great. As for media types, we have used a lot of Maxell, Mitsui, and Sony CD-Rs with good results. Though we mostly use commercial grade discs; we've consumer stuff in a pich with good results.
As discussed above, don't waste your money on "cheapie" CD-Rs. Many are rejects from major disc makers that didn't pass quality control at the factory. Good luck!
Don't know about music, but I had to burn .NET at 2x speed. When I burned on 6x i had .ini file blank. Even after filling it out manually I had encountered further data inconsistancy during an application testing.
I think that music isn't less complicated than MSVS.NET and there may be certainly data losses depending on speed.