Better Electronics or New Cables???

Which have you found to be more satisfying, better hardware or new cables? If you had a spare $1,000 for either but not both, which way would you go?
rockvirgo
Randal, I've got a theory that as one moves up the component food chain the less important the conductors become to the end result. I've had the good fortune to source some top of the line (in their day) pieces at these stereo websites. As a result, my system's expressiveness has increased to such a degree that i'm beginning to feel some serenity with the whole shebang. It's scary! Here's the stuff (and where it came from): Theta Data Basic II (AudioReview); Theta Pro Prime IIa and Theta cable (New); Threshold FET ten/hl (AudioWeb); Kimber Hero (Audiogon); Threshold S/350e (Ebay); Radio Shack 14AWG Ribbon Speaker Wire (New); ProAc Tablette 2000 Signatures (New). Who's the next victim? Probably the Pro Prime IIa, but primarily because it's not the top of the line. Btw, I've got lots of vinyl left over from its heyday, but at this stage you couldn't pay me to buy, keep and preserve another fragile LP record. What are you listening through?
Well you didn't specify what you have. $1000 these days don't buy you much. If you have lower end electronics, then $1000 is a decent amount to spend on electronics. If you're pretty hi-end, then you should go cables and tweaks. Black Diamond Racing Cones and their other stuff will work wonders to your system.
Rockvirgo, it's a shame that you don't listen to vinyl anymore. It's terrific nowadays.
There a several magic numbers and divine ratios to be found in the natural sciences. I won't pretend that this is one of them, but it has been my observation (over 30 years of buying audio stuff) that, much like a doubling of power to achieve 3db of additional gain, a doubling of cost is needed to realize a significant difference in quality of components at ANY point in one's system. I know that some products are better values than others, and there is a lot of outrageously overpriced crap available. However, as a general rule, you will need to spend your $1000 to replace something that sold for $500 or less in comparable condition (new, used, auctioned, etc.). In other words, replacing a $1000 amp with a $1500 amp will yield imperceptible improvement, unless the former was flawed or the latter bought used. Replacing a $500 CD player with a $1000 CD player will almost certainly be significant to any listener. Make your investments accordingly. Buy used whenever possible, especially low-level electronics, and wire.