Vintage turntable running fast, any ideas?

I got a Pioneer Pl-12 turntable from a friend who had it stored away for years. I cleaned it up but have found that some voices have a higher pitch compared to the CD version. I tried the free strobe disks and they verified my fears about the platter turning (I assume) too fast. I also measured similar songs from CDs and albums, and the albums always finish sooner. From some rough time estimates, the turntable is running about 3% too fast.

Looking from the bottom side up on the turntable, there are no adjustments and very little electronics at all. The only electronics are: the motor with a few wires running to it; an enclosed switch to select 115/230 voltable, and a somewhat large capacitor (I think). The "capacitor" has a rating of 0.1 uF and some serial numbers.

I suspect the "capacitor" is old or burnt or whatever. I doubt the voltage switch is the prolem, nor the motor, but who knows?

Any ideas? I have a voltage meter so I can measure the usual volts, ohms, or ampere, but I don't have an oscilloscope to measure frequency.

Thanks for any ideas,
rrick
Hi fi is usually a bottomless pit - but have you ever noticed that most musicains listen to things with the sonic elegance of a mice powered turntable using a 4" nail hooked up to an old tin can with a bit of string?
I have a theory on why musicians have such crappy stereo systems. From watching my violin playing brother-in-law, he uses a stereo like someone would use a hammer. All he wants from a stereo is the pace and tone of the music; mainly so he can play it himself. As such, he sees no need for an expensive system with great imaging and timbre, fast attack, etc. What's funny is that these are the same qualities he expects out of his violin!
Unless you want to play along is the speed really such a big issue ? Or does it really bug you now that you've noticed :-) ?

HiFi is like cars ... best not to go looking for problems !
Post removed 
Viridian ... I agree ... to a point ... we're talking a 3% change, not an octave. Personally I'd leave it alone.