Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
1. There is no cure or vacination for upgrade fever -- but we know it does strike especially hard after VISA statement date. There is always something for a little more money that sounds a wee bit better -- or so we all think.

2. Your girlfriend will never understand any of this. If she does, marry her.

3. Get a PS 300/600/1200 and some dedicated lines -- the best upgrade you can do, whether you have a $2K mid-fi setup or are bidding on those $40K Audio Research 600 tubes up for auction (damm this economy -- I want to bid!).

4. Don't be afraid to experiment. Just because your dealer doesn't carry it or recommend it, doesn't mean it won't sound great in your system. Every room, every ear, and every system's synergy is different.

5. Buy from reputable sources only -- either dealer or individucals -- always check 'em out BEFORE you write your check. But don't be afraid to buy used -- there are some terrific bargins out there if you're patient and shop mainly with your head and a little with your heart. In cases where your head and heart argue or disagree, let your ears be the final judge.

5-1/2. Never, never, never .... ship anything fragile UPS!
1.Front end front end put 50% of your initial budget in it.
2.Buy used gear that you can listen to in your system.
3.Dont read any audio Magazine's.
4.Since you dont read Magazine's listen with your ears.
5.Trust what you hear.
6.If you have over 10% of your budget invested in wires you are not following rules 3,4,5
Some great stuff here! Brings both laughter and tears (and in the case of the stupid stuff, as Curly would say ... "heyyy ... i resemble that remark!")

Incrementalism is the enemy ... buy something you LOVE. You'll never be sorry buying quality over compromise, even if you have to space out your purchases more.

Beyond a certain point, the room and the recording are MUCH more significant than the playback equipment. Have some fun with what will be very inexpensive (relative to the sonic improvement) tweaking and treatment of your environment.

If your toes ain't tappin, it ain't happenin. Take a break once in a while from the hardware, and just listen to the music, both at home and live. Regain perspective. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!!!
I CERTAINLY AGREE with the comment "If your toes ain't tappin, it ain't happenin.".

Holiday Wishes