Speakers: all-time worst

What is the all-time worst (home audio speaker systems, not the plastic cabinets or ceiling types) loudspeaker system that you have heard, and why? In other words, the all-time worst value.
wenterprisesnw
Landes, your sarcasm is exactly what Audiogon wants! (Or at least what I want). Please, keep it up.
I once had a girlfriend over to my house to watch a movie on my Hi-fi. I have a pair of ProAc 1SCs and she said they sounded nice. However, she went on to ask me if I thought they were as good as a BOSE speaker system?!? I was so shocked I did not know what to say, I did manage to assure her they were better! I had a pair of BOSE speakers about 10 years ago. I can't remember which model though. They had two tweaters, one facing straight and one at a 45 degree angle, they called it some kind of special imaging thing. They had more BOOMY bass than any speaker I have ever heard in my life and all out of two ported 8" drivers. Face it, there are a lot of bad speakers but Mr. Bose takes the cake. Bose is a false prophet who misguides the uninformed.
Bose Blows the Most. Even setting aside the rediculous over pricing, and their marketting that is killing high end audio, they are still some of the worst speakers I have ever heard. The AcoustiMudds, the 9 mids 0 tweeters 1 helluva price model, and everything in between - they are all terrible. If I had to choose between Bose, Cerwin Vega, and a used tire, I'd take the tire and beat it with a stick to make sound. I am always saddened by the high end audio industry's lack of marketting ability, when a friend asks me if my "pretty good audiophile" system has Bose speakers. I kindly inform him that I did not pay for advertising, but for wood, drivers, and a thing called "music".
Hey guys-- Not only did Bose speakers suck, they didn't suck very well. Add the Bose Super Radio--or whatever name the thing is currently marketed under--for nearly $400 (you've all seen the ads). It's hyped as sound Nirvana. I've heard one an acquaintance was comparing to my Avalon Arcuses. P.T. was right.
What is it about Bose speakers? Several times now in casual conversation with different colleagues the topic of audio has come up and when they find out I'm into high end audio, they proudly announce that they, too, are audiophiles-- they've "just bought one of those Bose systems with the dinky little speakers and gee, they sound great!" I haven't listened to the Bose Acoustimass system... what is it that makes it attractive to those wishing to "step up"... is it successful advertising that positions Bose as "better", or something about the sound (e.g., a forward, presentation coupled with a boomy subwoofer to give a superficially appealing sound?) Steve