Component that stopped the upgrade cycle cold?

This is kind of an extension of another thread that I believe is titled something like "Amplifiers: A Keeper for Life?". The answers to that one can be (but are not all) similar to any thread where someone asks, "What's the best ......?" With upgradidis being almost a requisite disfunction for the ranks of becoming an 'audiophile', I was wondering how to restate the question and get fewer of those one-word responses, and virgin-purchase highs. So I'll add a minimum requirement of longevity of ownership to the question and perhaps that may help:

Is there one or more components were not recently purchased that stopped your upgrade cycle on that component dead in its tracks leaving you delighted with the components performance for at least, oh, lets just put it at a minimum of three years of ownership with absolutely no intentions nor desires to swap it out? Also, what other like components specifically have you had the opportunity to directly/indirectly compare it to, and what keeps you sticking with the one you've got? Lets limit it to main system components for those with multiple systems. So I don't want to be hearing from anyone who got their box a few months ago and is still in wonderment listening to their entire collection all over again, basking in the new presentation, which they may, or may not be bored with in two more months. I want to hear about the ones your married to and have settled in with, but that you continue to look forward to the pleasure of each and every day you spend with her, in spite of the fact that you've been together so long. I don't give a tinker's cuss about things like "it's the best there is," or how it "blows away all the others"...I just want to hear what others find their comfort with and why. Let me hear your intimate stories of long-term romance with the gear that moves you to hang onto it for the long-haul!

Marco
jax2
I'm about 3 months shy of the 3 year ownership on my speakers but I ordered my VR4GenIII's in Oct. 2001, having to wait almost 5 mo. for delivery. I've been tempted a few times to go with something else but I did some minor tweaks & supported the VR's with better ancillary gear, which has convinced me these spkrs can deliver what I throw at them.

I've owned (and still do) products from the same line for more than 3 years but upgraded to a different model, the first from a Meridian 506.24 to a 508.20 (4 yrs) and Ayre V-3 to V-5x to V-1x (3 yrs.). The CDP was easy, as I've always liked the sound of British players but choosing an amp was a bit tougher, beating out the likes of Bryston, Pass, Plinius and YBA in my system & listening to some other systems, which doesn't really count. I was sold on the Ayre "house sound" with the V-3 & kept wanting more of it, so moved up the food chain to the V-1x, which I'll upgrade to e status sometime next year, as the amp sustained some minor cosmetic damage during shipping & I've just been waiting for an opportunity to do something about it.

Before this system I didn't have the upgrade bug that much & held onto gear for 8 or 9 yrs. with the likes of Shahinian, Luxman, Adcom & Cary. The internet has changed so many facets of this hobby, as I've experimented with a lot of different gear over the past 5 yrs. & am comfortable with what I listen to now, although I'm still searching for a preamp.
No. There is always something that I wish my system could do more of, or less of, and if any component can provide it, it would be a coveted item. Not knowing which component would do that to my system, makes it impossible to say any particular component is a keeper-for-life.

I just gladly paid an insane amount for a new Audionote Kageki amp, because it does so many amazing things to bring the music to life, but, I do wish it had a bit more of the comfortable warmth and ease of my 45-tube based amp. What if there is such an amp out there?

The only hardware that can stop me from the upgrade cycle is a GUN to the head.
Honestly, my listening room. I've heard my speakers in a well prepared room and know what they can do(dunlavy athenas) and have no desire to spend what would be needed to significantly better them (wilson maxes are quite nice at $20k used). My amps and pre are top shelf (VTL MB185 and 5.5 pre) and the rest of the components are very good to the point where i'm chasing little details instead of major changes in reproduction. My room issues (lots of glass, wall openings, big shiny marble fireplace between the speakers) are not to be resolved any time soon, if ever and without getting the acoustics right the details of reproduction will never be right either. Contentment is a good thing... frees up cash for guitar collecting!
LOL, the only component i ever get that starts the upgrade cycle cold is a woman!
Then, after things dont work out, im able to indulge again.
Hey Slappy,
They're looking for you in another thread with your name in the title! An appearance there would make many people happy.

Marco,
Well, I got committment issues. So three years to me is like comparing the history of the U.S. of A. to 3000 years of ancient Egyptian kingdoms. I've only been buying non-Circuit City crap for ten years and doing the Audiogon shuffle for a little over four, so I don't really qualify.

I've had my car for over five years and have no desire to upgrade. Does that count? I might buy an SUV to save some mileage on this one, but am gonna keep my little silver box for canyon carving.

The only thing I can relate to this thread is my four year long allegiance to ProAc speakers. They really fit my tastes. I keep moving up the line, but never sell them off. Oh, and I have had my Blue Circle BC21 preamp for three years, but that wouldn't qualify because I've been wanting to jump to a First Sound Presence this whole year!

I really admire the people that can stand pat long term.