What was your biggest priority?

There has been a lot of discussion in some of the other threads about where the focus or emphasis should be when spending money on your system. When you look at your system (other than the room in which it resides) where did you actually spend the most money? Did the majority of your hard earned money go into speakers, amp/amps, pre-amp, digital, or turntable/arm/cartridge??? Or was it somewhere else?
128x128nrchy
My pre amp and amplifier were my most expensive pieces,
the logic being that it would make all my different sources (turntable, CD player, DVD, VCR, Direct TV) sound the best. However I am certain the sources are limiting the potential of my stereo (by quite a bit).

One of my reasons for doing this is that I really care about the sound quality of movies, not noisy action films, but thoughtful (often foreign) story (art) films.

My speakers are Maggie 1.6 which are cheating a little bit because I really think they hold their own with much more expensive speakers and components.
My system is as good as it's weakest link. Usually, when I upgrade one thing, it begins a lengthy (fun) process of a total system upgrade. I always say to my wife, however, "this is the last time honey." Anybody relate to this? Don't go crazy here. I already know your answer. We're audiophools. It's incurable.
The priority is based on the perceived weakest link and the best return on investment (sound-wise of course).

Speakers 33%
Cables 37%
Amplifier 15%
CD 15%
About equal for preamp,amps and speakers. Cable certainly is close. It really depends on what system your setting up. A two channel system will probably balance more equally between amps and speakers, unless you want to spring for the highest cost cable and interconnects. The preamp with appropriate d/a tech. may influence your decision on cd or dvd.
Mine worked out as follows:

Int. amp - 40% (used)
Speakers - 30% (new)
CD Player - 20% (new)
Cables/IC's - 10% (new)

I low-balled on the CD as I want to pick up a better used CDP soon. Also, the cable/IC # will change when I buy PC's for the stock ones. Oh, then there are power conditioners too, up the number agan.

Finally, let me say that I do believe in the balanced system scenario, it just makes sense (Thanx Viridian).