Greatest American Rock and Role Bands of ALL Time

I have run into several advertisements saying that Aerosmith was the greatest American R&R band. I have thought about this claim and asked around and realize it is not an easy choice. So many of the great rock bands are not American..i.e. Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Rush, etc.

But before going further, who should/should not be considered?

 I think “band” means not Elvis, Elton John, etc or other single acts, that is another thread. However I would count Ted Nugent since he really is a band but with his name as a title…same with Hendrix, since he usually played with a band.
 They need to write at least most of there own music (another thing that would preclude Elvis).
 “Rock” any thing from the 50s up to alternative (which I consider a derivative of rock). This would include pop rock, so the Monkey’s might be considered (if they were American).
 Heavy metal would be ok.
 they should sustain their appeal over a period of time even if they weren’t able to produce a lot of music…i.e. Buddy Hollie, Hendrix

Anyway, there is no perfect guide so if you have other ideas, no problem. But here are a few of the undisputed best…..(that is bait)

 Amerosmith
 Kiss
 Alice Cooper
 Ted Nugent
Journey
….hey, I don’t know, I really would have a hard time putting any of these in a top 10 list of all time worldwide so I need some help,

Who are the greatest American Rock Bands of All Time???????????? Who is THE Greatest of all time
bbtuna

After all the diverse and great responses I thought I would take a minute and tally the votes. This can serve as a shopping guide as well as a point of interest. I tried to add up all the times bands were selected and where possible keep it to American. Even though several were alternative, like Nirvana, I left them in.

The clear winner....Almond Brothers....ironically enough, Aerosmith ended up at the bottom when I did my sort...hmm, I wonder is it fate or....

I will save my file if more names are added and next week I will post the finals.

hope you find some new music to go buy

happy listening :)
cd
Allman Bros 7
Velvet Underground 5
Doors 5
Santana 4
Ramones 4
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young 4
Creedence Clearwater Revival 4
Beach Boys 4
Jimi Hendrix Experience 3
Eagles 3
Byrds 3
Wilco 2
Talking Heads 2
REM 2
Los Lobos 2
Grateful Dead 2
Frank Zappa & The Mothers 2
Chuck Berry 2
Buffalo Springfield 2
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band 2
Bob Dylan and "The Band" 2
Alice Cooper 2
ZZ Top 1
Yo La Tengo 1
Troggs 1
Traveling Wilburys 1
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 1
Temptations 1
Ted Nugent 1
S-R Vaughan band 1
Sonic Youth 1
Smokey Robinson 1
Replacements 1
Paul Butterfield Blues Band, w/Mike Bloomfield 1
NRBQ 1
nirvana 1
Muddy Water's late 50s band with Little Walter and Jimmy Rogers 1
Martini Ranch 1
Little Feat 1
Kiss 1
Journey 1
Jackson 5 1
J Airplane, J Starship 1
iggy and the stooges 1
Grand Funk 1
Ginger Baker's Airforce 1
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers 1
Garfunkel 1
Devo 1
Camper Van Beethoven 1
Booker T. & the MGs 1
Bodeans 1
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band 1
Blood, Sweat and Tears (original band with Al Kooper) 1
Blasters 1
B-52s 1
Amerosmith 1
got Boston and Supertramp so I might as well add Kansas and any other state bands but really, are you saying you think Boston or Supertramp are the best American R&R band of ALL time or are we just trying to name all the American bands we can think of?

Even with that said, isn't it Boston who holds the record for most albums sold an a debut album or am I thinking of someone else? But after the debut, then what...nothing or close to it.

cd
Although Jimi Hendrix is an American, the Jimi Hendrix Experience formed and gained notoriety in England. The Band of Gypsies were an American rock and roll band featuring Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Miles and Billy Cox. They were awesome!
Bbtuna,
Okay I was pushing it with Supertramp, I just like their stuff. With Boston you're correct. I'm only refering to their self titled debut album. They had such a unique sound, I thought I'd through them in. At least I'm not mentioning brits or aussies.