Greatest American Rock and Role Bands of ALL Time

I have run into several advertisements saying that Aerosmith was the greatest American R&R band. I have thought about this claim and asked around and realize it is not an easy choice. So many of the great rock bands are not American..i.e. Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Rush, etc.

But before going further, who should/should not be considered?

 I think “band” means not Elvis, Elton John, etc or other single acts, that is another thread. However I would count Ted Nugent since he really is a band but with his name as a title…same with Hendrix, since he usually played with a band.
 They need to write at least most of there own music (another thing that would preclude Elvis).
 “Rock” any thing from the 50s up to alternative (which I consider a derivative of rock). This would include pop rock, so the Monkey’s might be considered (if they were American).
 Heavy metal would be ok.
 they should sustain their appeal over a period of time even if they weren’t able to produce a lot of music…i.e. Buddy Hollie, Hendrix

Anyway, there is no perfect guide so if you have other ideas, no problem. But here are a few of the undisputed best…..(that is bait)

 Amerosmith
 Kiss
 Alice Cooper
 Ted Nugent
Journey
….hey, I don’t know, I really would have a hard time putting any of these in a top 10 list of all time worldwide so I need some help,

Who are the greatest American Rock Bands of All Time???????????? Who is THE Greatest of all time
bbtuna
Durbin,
sorry but after reading threads for weeks, there aren't too many "original" threads are there? At least this is about music. What you do in your dorm room is your own business. happy listening :)

This is good, I have some new music I need to go out and buy.

How about Bruce Springstien and the E-Street band.

Just as a point of interest here are the most requested rock bands from allmusic.com...I understand that not all of these meet my own criteria however I thought it was interesting...

Artists
U2 ( 21192) The Beatles ( 18423) Bob Dylan ( 12601)
Jimi Hendrix ( 12397) The Who ( 9330) Korn ( 9215)
Neil Young ( 9187) Nirvana ( 9111) 'N Sync ( 8581)
Elton John ( 8563) Björk ( 8400) Moby ( 8252)
Eric Clapton ( 8157) Destiny's Child ( 8115) Radiohead ( 8026)
R. Kelly ( 7796) R.E.M. ( 7786) Yes ( 7653)
John Lennon ( 7651) Frank Zappa ( 7523) Paul Simon ( 7506)
Queen ( 7213) Trina [1] ( 7102) Genesis ( 6758)

cd
I think some of you guys should check your facts before you start posting--Jethro Tull-American?,surely not,Pink Floyd mmm there is a Cambridge or two in America-but,Fleetwood Mac-originally British and still features 2 Brits,AC/DC???
Rolling Stones-good grief!!!!!!!