Speaker punishing bass

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for quality recordings with frightening bass. I use several discs for auditioning speakers to see if they can stand up without distorting. My favorites are: Vic Wooten with the Flecktones, Marcus Miller, Copland's "Fanfare for a Common Man", Edgar Meyer's "Uncommon Ritual" and "Passage" by the Empire Brass Quintet. While bass isn't the last word it has made short work of some speaker choices. As always I look forward to any suggestions.
wirehead
Sedond what was your opinion on the VMPS speakers. I forget which model but these are some of the finest speakers I have heard
snook, this was over 10 years ago, the tower lll is not a representation of vmps' current line-up. my opinion of them was excellent dynamics, detail & tonal accuracy, w/mediocre imaging/soundstaging. however, it seems that vmps has come a long way since then, w/their use of ribbon technology & better driver layout. i have not had the chance to audition their latest, but i'd like to, & i'd be surprised if the imaging & soundstaging isn't now on par w/their other strengths.
If rock'n'roll is to your liking try Heart's "The Road Home". Live recording of Heart's greatest, with some novel renditions of their classics. Well recorded. Lots of kick drum and electric bass.
I'll second Doug28450's recommend. Telarc 1812 on vinyl. Don't know the hz. reading on this vinyl version, but if you don't have a good tonearm-cartridge combo... good luck tracking this LP.
Joysjane, Your post made me curious. I pulled my copy of the "1812" to see if there was any clue as to the frequencies. The jacket notes state "The initial "crack" of the cannon upon ignition of the powder charge (which variously lies in the 2,000 to 3,000 KHz region) and the follow-up boom (going all the way down to as low as 6 cycles) represents a phenomenal challenge fo recording engineers....". Also of interest to vinyl junkies is that this record was mastered by Stan Ricker. Thanks, Doug
More to discover