Speaker punishing bass

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for quality recordings with frightening bass. I use several discs for auditioning speakers to see if they can stand up without distorting. My favorites are: Vic Wooten with the Flecktones, Marcus Miller, Copland's "Fanfare for a Common Man", Edgar Meyer's "Uncommon Ritual" and "Passage" by the Empire Brass Quintet. While bass isn't the last word it has made short work of some speaker choices. As always I look forward to any suggestions.
wirehead

Showing 2 responses by doug28450

If you are able to find a vinyl version of the "1812" recording that Estrnad mentions in the first post, you will also have the opportunity to punish your tonearm and cartridge at the same time you punish your woofers. Good Luck, Doug
Joysjane, Your post made me curious. I pulled my copy of the "1812" to see if there was any clue as to the frequencies. The jacket notes state "The initial "crack" of the cannon upon ignition of the powder charge (which variously lies in the 2,000 to 3,000 KHz region) and the follow-up boom (going all the way down to as low as 6 cycles) represents a phenomenal challenge fo recording engineers....". Also of interest to vinyl junkies is that this record was mastered by Stan Ricker. Thanks, Doug
More to discover