Heavy Metaller needs some class ical .

Okay, okay, I'm 33 years old and I still love heavy, speed, and death metal. I might never grow up :), but I'm willing to give some great classical recordings a try. I was hoping to get some good recommendations on the top 3 or so classical recordings on CD and DVD-A to get me started. Being an adreneline based music listener, you'll obviously want to recommend high energy stuff that is wonderfully recorded to save my soul from eternal damnation. :)
ccerny95ae
Check out violin works by Paganini (Niccolo). He was an Italian violin virtuoso of the late 18th/early 19th century. He really "pushed the envelope" by employing harmonics, double and triple stops, and even used alternative tuning of the instrument. Don't quote me on this, but story has it that he was so gifted and intense that he had to convince his fellow countrymen that he indeed wasn't posessed by the Devil (the ORIGINAL Satanic music!). I also want to say that his music was an influence for Yngwie Malmstein (not sure of the spelling there, but you probably know who I mean.
Here's a "stupid" confession. I realized recently, now that we have approx. 60 or so classical CD's that much of my exposure to this music came from classic cartoon (Bugs, etc.). I have fun (with my wife) remembering the cartoon scene in which the musical piece (or part of it) was played.
No need for embarassment, Dekay. I must admit every time I hear the second half of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 I think of the Bugs Bunny and other Looney Tunes cartoons, which used that music all the time in chase scenes. My son learned Grieg from the Smurfs. And of course, with Rossini it was the Lone Ranger, as well as some of the cartoons. And our parents thought those shows were a waste of time......
For sheer adrenaline, I think you ought to check out Holst's "The Planets" (first movement, especially), Thomas Ades's "Asyla" (third movement, especially) and probably Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring". Just as with Rock and Metal, you'll find some part of the piece that you really like, and the rest will probably grow on you as you listen...
Happy Listening!
Kurt
Post removed